Discuss 16th Edition era industrial electrician, am I still qualified? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all

I joined the forum this evening and I am hoping that some of you wise folk can maybe share your thoughts if possible, that would be great!

I served a MOD 4 year apprenticeship, then was kept on by the MOD and worked a further 4.5 years as an Industrial Electrician - but I haven't worked as an electrician for quite some years. I've been in technical roles in another industry but would like to find out if I am still qualified, I guess so, but I no doubt need some sort of update (IEE 16th Edition in those days).

The electrical qualifications that I hold are as follows: I imagine that these are still valid and as such I am qualified still .
  • C&G 224 pt 1
  • C&G 236 pt 1 & 2
  • NVQ-3 Electrical Installation Competences
  • AM 1 & 2 (CITB / JIB approved)
  • Nominated Persons Low Voltage Systems

Should I want to start working again in the UK industry then I am wondering about the following.
  1. So I assume from looking around online that I need to take an 18th Edition BS7671 course at a training centre for starters?
  2. Should I want to start working again as an industrial electrician, it appears that I would want to apply for an ECS Gold Card for either Maintenance or Installation electrician? Which means I need the 18th Edition certificate in addition to my qualifications if I understand it correctly?
  3. If I wanted to do some domestic work, even today, can I just do it? Or do I need a Part P certificate which I assume I would need to obtain through a training centre.

Apologies for the long message but it would be great to hear any qualified opinions or advice. I am happy to sit any refresher / training courses and would consider paying for things like ECS if it made sense.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Regards

Matrick

Last edited:
18th is what you need. it's a 2 hour exam 60 multiple choice quwestios on finding the answers in the book.not sure how much the course is, somewhere around £300 at a local college. don't be conned into a partpee course, you don't need it, but for notifiable domestic work, you need to join niceic or 1 of the other parasitic scams.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated :thumbsup: So it looks like 18th Edition it is as I thought.

......and perhaps consider one of the trade bodies should I go down the domestic route. If I am understanding it correctly I guess that the Part P is a suitable domestic qualification for those that haven't gone down the fully qualified route, hence I don't need it?

Regards

Matrick

Part P isn't a qualification it is a Building Regulation. If you join a scheme and notify works under Part P through that scheme all you need to prove is access to the document and that can be electronic, free download available here.

Part P isn't a qualification it is a Building Regulation. If you join a scheme and notify works under Part P through that scheme all you need to prove is access to the document and that can be electronic, free download available here.

Ok I understand now! Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Reply to 16th Edition era industrial electrician, am I still qualified? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock