Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 16th Edition era industrial electrician, am I still qualified? in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matrick

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello all

I joined the forum this evening and I am hoping that some of you wise folk can maybe share your thoughts if possible, that would be great!

I served a MOD 4 year apprenticeship, then was kept on by the MOD and worked a further 4.5 years as an Industrial Electrician - but I haven't worked as an electrician for quite some years. I've been in technical roles in another industry but would like to find out if I am still qualified, I guess so, but I no doubt need some sort of update (IEE 16th Edition in those days).

The electrical qualifications that I hold are as follows: I imagine that these are still valid and as such I am qualified still .
  • C&G 224 pt 1
  • C&G 236 pt 1 & 2
  • NVQ-3 Electrical Installation Competences
  • AM 1 & 2 (CITB / JIB approved)
  • Nominated Persons Low Voltage Systems

Should I want to start working again in the UK industry then I am wondering about the following.
  1. So I assume from looking around online that I need to take an 18th Edition BS7671 course at a training centre for starters?
  2. Should I want to start working again as an industrial electrician, it appears that I would want to apply for an ECS Gold Card for either Maintenance or Installation electrician? Which means I need the 18th Edition certificate in addition to my qualifications if I understand it correctly?
  3. If I wanted to do some domestic work, even today, can I just do it? Or do I need a Part P certificate which I assume I would need to obtain through a training centre.

Apologies for the long message but it would be great to hear any qualified opinions or advice. I am happy to sit any refresher / training courses and would consider paying for things like ECS if it made sense.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Regards

Matrick

Last edited:
Aico 3000
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
18th is what you need. it's a 2 hour exam 60 multiple choice quwestios on finding the answers in the book.not sure how much the course is, somewhere around £300 at a local college. don't be conned into a partpee course, you don't need it, but for notifiable domestic work, you need to join niceic or 1 of the other parasitic scams.

M

Matrick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the comments, appreciated :thumbsup: So it looks like 18th Edition it is as I thought.

......and perhaps consider one of the trade bodies should I go down the domestic route. If I am understanding it correctly I guess that the Part P is a suitable domestic qualification for those that haven't gone down the fully qualified route, hence I don't need it?

Regards

Matrick

westward10

westward10

Mod
Part P isn't a qualification it is a Building Regulation. If you join a scheme and notify works under Part P through that scheme all you need to prove is access to the document and that can be electronic, free download available here.

M

Matrick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part P isn't a qualification it is a Building Regulation. If you join a scheme and notify works under Part P through that scheme all you need to prove is access to the document and that can be electronic, free download available here.

Ok I understand now! Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to 16th Edition era industrial electrician, am I still qualified? in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom