Discuss 17th edition - tips and tricks of navigating the reg book in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wayne290

evening all

recently purchased an online course for 17th edition, ive done it this way so im able to do it without taking time off work and can put in a few hours every evening. ive got my yellow regs book and first look at it I feel like I jumped in at the deep end and should of done the course in a class room.
I know all the answers in the exam can be found in the regs book but im struggling a little with the amount of time taking to find the answers. has anyone got any tips on how to navigate the regs book a bit more quickly ?

any help or suggestions welcomed

familiarise yourself with the different sections, as soon as you know where they are finding the regulation your after is fairly straight forward then. use post it notes to highlight area in the regs but have them sticking out of the edge of the book and selotaped to the page you need, sounds a bit messy but worked for me and was recommended by our tutor at the time.

It is just about learning the sections properly.....But then again you should end up with a working knowledge of the whole book. I advise you to become with the tables that are concerned with MCB/Fuse disconnection times ect ect. I also strongly advise to really get into cable calcs.....Not just for this test as its not really about that - but it will give you a great grounding of what the book is actually trying to achieve - Get your mind working in that "mode" and you will be all set - Then onwards to the 2394/5 (If you haven't already got them)

The Questions in the Exam run in the same order as the Sections in Regs book.
NOT in order within the Section, but once the question changes section you don't need to go back.
If you do the pre training, they'll tell you how many questions in each section as well.

There's some really good tips on navigating the regs and how all the numbers work in the first chapter of Alan lynchs Part P doctor. well worth buying.

sam

The city and guilds qualification handbook (page 10) tells you the number of questions on each section and the %age marks awarded for each.
It also therefore gives you the guide to each section and the principles therein.
If the question is about protection for safety then it will be in Part 4, if preventing electric shock then it will be in chapter 4.1.

thankyou everyone for the tips, all in all it just looks like I just got to get my head into the regs book and familiarise myself with its layout... thanks stantheman for the online simulator it will come in handy
I will let you all know how I get on :)

familiarise yourself with the different sections, as soon as you know where they are finding the regulation your after is fairly straight forward then. use post it notes to highlight area in the regs but have them sticking out of the edge of the book and selotaped to the page you need, sounds a bit messy but worked for me and was recommended by our tutor at the time.
Seem to remember when I took my 17th edition 'course', we were told the regs book had to be clean, with no writing or marks in it, when you took the exam. Not sure about post it notes. My 'course' consisted of going through the book, being introduced to each section by the tutor (use that term loosely!) and then given a set of questions to answer, than the class reviewed their answers. Hardly instructional. Think if I hadn't spent some time before the course, using online questions & answers, I would have struggled. So IMO, don't pay for a course!

Seem to remember when I took my 17th edition 'course', we were told the regs book had to be clean, with no writing or marks in it, when you took the exam. Not sure about post it notes. My 'course' consisted of going through the book, being introduced to each section by the tutor (use that term loosely!) and then given a set of questions to answer, than the class reviewed their answers. Hardly instructional. Think if I hadn't spent some time before the course, using online questions & answers, I would have struggled. So IMO, don't pay for a course!
if there blank post-it notes just to mark the pages then i think they will let you in, if they dont you can pull them off before the test

This is the main reason I joined this forum mine is next week and it seems a very grey area as to whether you are allowed to mark the book or not, some say they labelled it to the hills and then in some areas online it says you cant at all, not really sure what to do?

Although some training centres may be more forgiving, the city and guilds information regarding permitted reference material states the following:

All publications permitted must not include any additional sheets or printed documents with the exception of published corrigenda or amendments.

IET wiring regulations books taken into examinations can contain the following:
• Bookmarks (eg blank post-it notes, post-it notes numbered to indicate chapters or corners of pages folded)
• Highlighting of text
• The Corrigendum, issued by the IET as a supplement to the wiring regulations in 2013.

IET wiring regulations books taken into exams cannot contain the following:
• Sample exam questions, answers or diagrams
• Any writing in the regulations or accompanying written notes
• Notes, diagrams or any content that may in anyway advantage the candidate in answering questions within the exam.

It is the responsibility of the centre to ensure the material in the candidate's IET Requirements to Electrical Installations cannot unfairly advantage candidates in any way. If there is any doubt over the suitability of content the publication should not be used and replaced with 'clean' regulations. Many centres may find it easier to continue using 'clean' regulations.

This is the main reason I joined this forum mine is next week and it seems a very grey area as to whether you are allowed to mark the book or not, some say they labelled it to the hills and then in some areas online it says you cant at all, not really sure what to do?
Why don't you contact the centre where you are taking the exam, and ask what they will allow or not?

i paid £70 for my 7671 and i have wrote notes in it,it is my book so i can write in it if i wish to

can guarantee "definitions" will be on the exam somewhere too :)

I failed one of the definitions questions on the 17th! Which is a pretty hard thing to do! The exam was on the Wednesday evening of the champions league final between Man U and Chelsea though and I wanted to get home to watch it. Still got over 90% on it. Though it is one of the easiest exams you could ever do.

Reply to 17th edition - tips and tricks of navigating the reg book in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock