Discuss 18th edition exam - my thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

According to the regs the 18th came into effect on the 1st Jan 2019

View attachment 49054
According to the regs the 18th is intended to come into effect on the 1st Jan 2019.
This is a FAQ for the 2391 exam:
This qualification helps you to develop the knowledge and practical skills required to professionally carry out inspection and testing on electrical installations. Intended for experienced electricians who have never gained formal qualifications in inspection and testing or who may wish to update and reaffirm their skills. There are separate pathways available for just Initial Verification (2391-50) or just Periodic Inspection and Testing (2391-51) should they be required.Assessment takes the form of a 2 hour online 60 question open book multiple choice exam. You are allowed to take a copy of BS7671:2008(2015), On Site Guide and IET Guidance Note 3 into the exam. A non programmable calculator would also be advisable. There is also a separate Practical Assessment, that is booked on an individual basis and is NOT part of the 4 days of the course.

Note that the edition allowed in the exam is the 3rd amendment, not the 18th.

According to the regs the 18th is intended to come into effect on the 1st Jan 2019.

Very true mate.
Is also states that "Installations designed after 3 lst December 2018 are to comply with BS 767l:2018." Which pretty much means that it comes into effect on the 1st Jan 2019.

The reason given, is that the 18th doesn’t come into force until July 1st.

Your above post doesn't mention anything about 1st July 2019. Where did this come from?

I used the word" about " and was told that at my recent assessment

Very true mate, you did use the word "about".
I would say that your assessor was wrong.

Your above post doesn't mention anything about 1st July 2019. Where did this come from?
When I sat my 2391 exam, I was told that there would be no questions relating to any changes in the 18th.
They said I could use either the 3rd amendment book or the 18th, because there would only be questions that had answers in both editions.
They told me that this is because both editions are still in force until the 1st July.

I’ve not seen or heard anything about this elsewhere.

Perhaps they meant that the City and Guilds hadn’t got round to updating their exam yet, and that they’ll be issuing new exam questions on the 1st July?

I was told that some questions had been removed from the exam, specifically those relating to the boxes on the schedule of test results and the test button on RCDs.

There are lots of online resources that still make reference to the 17th Ed. probably for the simple reason they haven't been updated. In fact, on this forum, the "Wiring, Theories & Regulations" section preface still reads "Discussions on all electrical regulations in the UK. Including Part P, BS 7671, DPC BS7671:2008, BS 7671:2001 & 2004 Amendment No.2, IEE wiring regulations, 16th Edition and 17th Edition."

I think it probably just depends on the rules of who you are paying hundreds of pounds a year to...
For them just to check you know how to read a book..
the whole thing is embarrassing really.

I think it probably just depends on the rules of who you are paying hundreds of pounds a year to...
For them just to check you know how to read a book..
the whole thing is embarrassing really.
I'm with the NIC and it isn't cheap, I showed on my last assessment l had a good working knowledge of the 18th edition

If I remember correctly NIC EIC couldn't get certs up to speed for EICR's when they became part of the regs. So they let members use the old PIR certs until they got their --- into gear. Looks like C&G are no different.

Reply to 18th edition exam - my thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock