Discuss 2.5mm2 cable with 32A isolator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am going to install a device, it is running microwave magnetron up to 2kW, with power supply of 230V/Single phase/ 50Hz.
According to manufacturer's instruction, it supposed to be connected to a 16A MCB/isolator for protection.
The problem now is that the location only has a 32A isolator switch, and it is very tough to change to a 16A (need to go through several department, etc).

My first concern is that a 32A isolator will not cut off power when it goes above 16A, thus damaging the device.
However, I checked that the device itself has a 16A fuse, so the only problem is the cable connecting isolator to device, which is a 3x2.5mm2 t&e cable with C19 connector.
I understand that 2.5mm2 is not the best option with 32A isolator, however I can't find any cord in the world that connect a 4mm2 t&e with C19 (in fact C19 only rated at 16A).

Any advice on what can I do without tempering the 32A isolator?
Any concern if I connect the 2.5mm5 cable directly to a 32A isolator?

TL;DR
Connecting 2.5mm t&e cable to 32A isolator, ok?
An isolator is a switch. It doesn't matter in the slightest what the rating of it is, as long as it is equal to or higher than the current drawn by whatever it feeds. The circuit protective device is another thing altogether.

Hi guys, I am going to install a device, it is running microwave magnetron up to 2kW, with power supply of 230V/Single phase/ 50Hz.
According to manufacturer's instruction, it supposed to be connected to a 16A MCB/isolator for protection.
The problem now is that the location only has a 32A isolator switch, and it is very tough to change to a 16A (need to go through several department, etc).

My first concern is that a 32A isolator will not cut off power when it goes above 16A, thus damaging the device.
However, I checked that the device itself has a 16A fuse, so the only problem is the cable connecting isolator to device, which is a 3x2.5mm2 t&e cable with C19 connector.
I understand that 2.5mm2 is not the best option with 32A isolator, however I can't find any cord in the world that connect a 4mm2 t&e with C19 (in fact C19 only rated at 16A).

Any advice on what can I do without tempering the 32A isolator?
Any concern if I connect the 2.5mm5 cable directly to a 32A isolator?
An isolatOr will not cut the power off unless the idolater is operated manually, an isolator is NOT an overcurrent device OCPD, it is what it is a device for isolating a circuit.

An isolatOr will not cut the power off unless the idolater is operated manually, an isolator is NOT an overcurrent device OCPD, it is what it is a device for isolating a circuit.
Hi Pete, thanks for prompt response.
Noted that isolator is not an OCPD, I assume there is a breaker inside the distribution panel on upstream ( I will check on this)
Assuming that there is a breaker at DP on upstream, again, is 2.5mm2 t&e cable Ok for my application? Thanks

You could make up your own extension lead with a 16A mcb in it.

32A plug to 4mm flex, into enclosure, through 16A breaker onto 2.5 flex into 16A socket to suit your equipment.

You could make up your own extension lead with a 16A mcb in it.

32A plug to 4mm flex, into enclosure, through 16A breaker onto 2.5 flex into 16A socket to suit your equipment.

Thanks, I am considering that as plan B in fact
Just curious btw, how about I change the mcb in upstream DP to 16A directly? Any risk/consideration?

Thanks, I am considering that as plan B
Your plan " A" obviously would have been to connect the appliance 2.5mm flex directly to the 32amp supply. If you can confirm that it is indeed a 32 amp breaker protecting the circuit its perfectly safe to do this as you are protecting against short circuit currant only. This appliance is "end of line" just like a ceiling rose is and the cable size can be reduced accordingly

Your plan " A" obviously would have been to connect the appliance 2.5mm flex directly to the 32amp supply. If you can confirm that it is indeed a 32 amp breaker protecting the circuit its perfectly safe to do this as you are protecting against short circuit currant only. This appliance is "end of line" just like a ceiling rose is and the cable size can be reduced accordingly
Sorry. Just saw the "manufacturers instruction" which obviously can, t be ignored for warranty purposes. Not sure why they would put that there as mcb, s/fuses are there to protect cabling, not appliances.

Reply to 2.5mm2 cable with 32A isolator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock