Discuss 2 external lighting circuits fed through 1 SWA cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening,

Although I cannot see a specific regulation can anyone come up with a reason why someone could not run 2 line and 2 neutrals with both circuits fed from the steel wire?

To verify this would feed 2 number lighting circuits down one path, but

I.e 1No 5 core swa.

From a cost point of view this seems dumb, but the emergency lighting part also bothers me, not to mention testing.

So, lets clarify... you want to run 2 circuits in a 4 core SWA using the armour as the CPC.

What's 'the emergency lighting part'? Why does testing worry you?

Can you provide more information, a more detailed explanation of what is intended, it may be clear to you, but to someone coming in cold, it seems a rushed description, a diafram may help.

I personally don't want to just from an installation point of view, but lets see if I can walk through what is being discussed.

2 outside light circuits, but for ease of use I will say 20 lights.
10 will be non emergency and 10 will be emergency.

One 5 core swa with 2 cores being neutrals, 2 being line and one being and emergency fed from a powerpack.

It will be fine you can contain multiple circuits in a multicore cable providing the insulation is rated for the highest voltage present. Not sure what the power pack bit is, are these not self contained emergency lights.

I would have preferred to have self contained ems, but as these will be bollards the client would prefer to have a battery pack local to the DB. So in effect a central battery system?

I personally don't want to just from an installation point of view, but lets see if I can walk through what is being discussed.

2 outside light circuits, but for ease of use I will say 20 lights.
10 will be non emergency and 10 will be emergency.

One 5 core swa with 2 cores being neutrals, 2 being line and one being and emergency fed from a powerpack.
You don't want to give any more information than what you have already, why is that? the more information the more help you will be able to get from the forum, keeping information from the forum is disturbing in my opinion, don't know how others feel?

Genuinely I dont have anymore information. I am in the process of putting together what the client and our estimator were talking about. Personally I would just have 2 circuits with internal battery packs for the emergency bollards.

To me having 2 circuits, but only some being emergency off of a central battery through one cable is asking for crap

Genuinely I dont have anymore information. I am in the process of putting together what the client and our estimator were talking about. Personally I would just have 2 circuits with internal battery packs for the emergency bollards.

To me having 2 circuits, but only some being emergency off of a central battery through one cable is asking for crap
OK appreciate your concerns Mate, no offence meant, just wondered why. the reluctance

Yes but wouldn't the EM lights require a permanent live feed? Ah I see a central battery pack that explains your concern's, not sure of the answer I have no experience.

As the battery unit is remote this would fall under the requirements for a central battery system and hence any cabling must have an inherently high resistance to the effects of fire. Do you have a copy of BS5266:1.
Surely you would need a six core cable.

If it is a central system you will not be able to use the same cable, segregation will be required.

Is there anyone designing this to comply with the relevant B.S.
For what you have described so far seems a complicated setup yet alone termination inside the bollards. I know ASD does an emergency bollard and other manufacturers do as well probably now. It, therefore, must be simpler to have a five core SWA.

Would that statement be untrue if all the conductors are rated at the highest voltage? only asking.
No for central systems segregation must be applied.
Part of Reg 8.2.6, BS5266:1. Where multi-core cable is used for the emergency lighting, none of the conductors should be used for any other circuit.

You will have to use separate cables, the cable for the emergency lighting you could use FP600. Are these bollards forming part of an escape route.

No for central systems segregation cheers thanks for that Westymust be applied.
Part of Reg 8.2.6, BS5266:1. Where multi-core cable is used for the emergency lighting, none of the conductors should be used for any other circuit.

Reply to 2 external lighting circuits fed through 1 SWA cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net