Discuss 200A load break switch/switch disconnector. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
I have a job on ATM where the client has been done over by the builder for 65K leaving the job which is 13 new build flats near completion but the client is running out of dollar pretty quick. I'm doing my best to help out by finishing the job but due to the concerns over money I'm getting paid upfront and the clients buying the material that I choose/request. I would normally choose/buy an Eaton Glasgow switch-disconnector but due to the clients limited funds trying to find something cheaper but not complete and utter rubbish. I'm looking for recommendations. Cheers

Edit: I've got to gland off a 95mm 4core in to it.

Last edited:
I think you may be struggling with that one. Switch, enclosure and extension box, I presume.

I don't think you'll be able to pull a great deal back whichever way you go.

We normally go for Schneider but they are obviously right up there pricewise.

Try different wholesalers and see what's going, you never know. Good luck.

Proteus U200S is around half the price of the Glasgow. Can't comment on the quality though. Have used the eaton excel disconnector previously but I think they only do up to 125A.

Proteus U200S is around half the price of the Glasgow. Can't comment on the quality though. Have used the eaton excel disconnector previously but I think they only do up to 125A.
Proteus and there industrial switch gear need a wide birth, it's poorly designed and seen more of this 100amp+ switchgear burn out than any other brand... reality for the op is there are really no shortcuts here and if pushed then possibly use reconditioned gear from a robust brand which will still have 1 to 3 years guarantee on it

I've gone off mem/eaton stuff in the last few years ever since they seemed to start putting really crap terminal screws in them. And then I found that Craig and Derricot was better and generally cheaper.

Have you looked at ABB gear? I can't comment on the price but the quality seems OK plus they seem to do a wide range of accessories.
Their website isn't the easiest to navigate.

I used Proteus once, if I was still working I wouldn't use it again.

Thanks for the recommendations :smile5: I've had a look at craig & derricott but the lead time is 3-4 weeks so sort of blows that one out the window. Sintras proteus option looks like it has plenty of room but darkwoods post puts me off it. ABB and Schneider I don't think will be any cheaper than eaton Glasgow. I will ask my wholesaler about the contactum one on Tuesday. Someone suggested to me Europa components but looks like cheap tat........Any one ever used it on this sort of scale? I've only ever used it for 20A/32A rotary isolators.

An aside (sorry, not really relevant to the OP's questions): I really like threads like this! :) Partly it's getting the low-down on stuff outside your normal sphere of activity; just getting the name of something ("Glasgow") and then downloading the spec sheets and looking through it all, going, "Ah, THOSE! I always wondered what they were called!" Threads like these always peak my interest, and make me want to learn more.

So cheers! :)

Have you looked at ABB gear? I can't comment on the price but the quality seems OK plus they seem to do a wide range of accessories.
Their website isn't the easiest to navigate.
ABB are usually top price.

Quoting on some RCBOs lately and they were around £90 + VAT each IIRC, 3 pole MCBs £65 + VAT.

They are usually good quality though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendations :smile5: I've had a look at craig & derricott but the lead time is 3-4 weeks so sort of blows that one out the window. Sintras proteus option looks like it has plenty of room but darkwoods post puts me off it. ABB and Schneider I don't think will be any cheaper than eaton Glasgow. I will ask my wholesaler about the contactum one on Tuesday. Someone suggested to me Europa components but looks like cheap tat........Any one ever used it on this sort of scale? I've only ever used it for 20A/32A rotary isolators.

Give Craig and Derricot a call on Tuesday and they may be able to help you out, I've found them very helpful in the past.

Europa components is the same as the contactum stuff (as in same factory, different sticker on the front)
I've connected in to one of their 200A switches in the past and it was a bit tight on space but fairly sturdy. I didn't fit it though as it was the end of a supply provided to us by another contractor.

Stay well clear of the proteus carp...never come across Europa but heard bad reviews.

If you want a decent job with no comebacks, being such an important issue, I would suggest savings on other parts of the installation, if possible.

With such problems you can end up losing more on time wastage instead of just getting the job done, as I'm sure you are aware.:icon12:

Difficult situation, I know.

Last edited:

Reply to 200A load break switch/switch disconnector. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net