Discuss 2382 17th edition, easy or hard for apprentice in 2nd year in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Congratulations MacSparky,

Where did you take your exam, could you just book it as an external student, I am struggling to find a centre locally who will let me just sit the exam. As I will study at home myself. You said you waited 3 months for a number and a password. Was this for the online exam.

Where you able to go back to questions when you wanted to change anything, and at the end of the questions they all went through the system, not where you answer a question the result is final no chance of changing a mistake.

you can flag questions and review them at the end

registration process is up to 48 hrs before you sit the exam, thats it

exam itself is 30 quid. i suppose centres dont want your business cos theres no money in it, but theres nothing to stop them charging you say, 50 or sixty quid to cover your exam fee and the invigilators time

keep trying!!!

How frequent are the 2391 exams shakey? and what would you say is the best way to prepare for them? thanks in advance:)

there is about 6 or 7 exams a year next is june, then in july then oct (i think) you can get the dates off the c&G website, or i will post them here tommorrow (time permitting)!

registration for written exam is last working day of month before the month before the exam. So cut off for todays written exam was 31 jan. You get your written result within 42 working days. Practical resists are minimum 48hrs.

Best way to prepare?

Practical: time on the meter, Every chance you get, test your house, other peoples houses, anything - and try and include industrial three phase boards.

Ze, PEFC, PSCC, R1+R2, r1, rn etc etc these should be tripping off your tongue and be second nature to you

Written exam: get GN3 and the regs. Know GN3 arse backwards. Get past exam papers, as many as possible, and do them. then do them again

best of luck!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1st Post.

I reckon it will be easier for younger people.
I Started on the 14th version and on every change find it increasingly harder to get used to the changes. Not so much the changes but the layouts to the regs.
I took the 17th on Friday after a 2 1/2 day course (not allowed to take refresher as i took the 16th pre 2001) And found myself still trying to use the old numbering system (bit stuck in my ways)
Not sure i like taking the test online though, Its more nerve wracking than pen and paper. And that countdown timer is Not nice.
I also had my casio fx-83ms calc taken of me as they thought it was a programmable one.

Oh And i passed. And it was nice to find this out within 15 mins.

Congratulations MacSparky,

You said you waited 3 months for a number and a password. Was this for the online exam.

Hi Mdavis, i was referring to the c&g smartscreen website for learners above..... No i used a college called Prospects in Basildon, cost £80 plus the vat and just rang them up, no pre requisites necessary mate. Not sure if i'm allowed to mention college names...oops! not affiliated to it just answering the question peeps:rolleyes:

Arranging the 2391 this week, gonna give it a few months or so before i sit it though....:)

1st Post.

I reckon it will be easier for younger people.
I Started on the 14th version and on every change find it increasingly harder to get used to the changes. Not so much the changes but the layouts to the regs.
I took the 17th on Friday after a 2 1/2 day course (not allowed to take refresher as i took the 16th pre 2001) And found myself still trying to use the old numbering system (bit stuck in my ways)
Not sure i like taking the test online though, Its more nerve wracking than pen and paper. And that countdown timer is Not nice.
I also had my casio fx-83ms calc taken of me as they thought it was a programmable one.

Oh And i passed. And it was nice to find this out within 15 mins.

why didnt you just take the update course, but sit the full exam instead of the update??

I dont like exisiting regs holders taking the full course.

the full course teaches the regs, but what people like you need too know is what has CHANGED in the regs. You wouldnt neccesarily get this through the full course

still, you pays your money, you takes your choice;)

shakey ,my 16th is pre 2001 and i,ve gotta do the full course
every organisation i've contacted has said c&g rules mate
which is f*****king ridiculous the course is on what we know of the 17th not the 16th or the 15th .
as for knowing the 16th ,evry job ive installed inspected tested certified (some not my own) has been to the 16th how can i sign a job off if i don't know the regs ,or are they saying because my quali is pre 2001 (which my 239 isnt)all my testing is invalid?

shakey ,my 16th is pre 2001 and i,ve gotta do the full course
every organisation i've contacted has said c&g rules mate
which is f*****king ridiculous the course is on what we know of the 17th not the 16th or the 15th .
as for knowing the 16th ,evry job ive installed inspected tested certified (some not my own) has been to the 16th how can i sign a job off if i don't know the regs ,or are they saying because my quali is pre 2001 (which my 239 isnt)all my testing is invalid?

Wayne,

then they are misenterpretating the rules!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

C&G state for pre 2001 2381, and pre 2004 2330, you must sit C&G 2382-10 which is the full 17th edition exam.

Thats it - the exam. They mentuion nothing about the course - sure there are guided learning hours, but it dont take einstein to work out that somone who has been doing the regs for years does not need the same tuition as someone 'green':mad:

No, the requirement is that you do the full exam, thats it. And doing the 1 day update and doing the full exam instead of the update exam is the best way for expereinced people to do it.;)

Wayne,

then they are misenterpretating the rules!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

C&G state for pre 2001 2381, and pre 2004 2330, you must sit C&G 2382-10 which is the full 17th edition exam.

Thats it - the exam. They mentuion nothing about the course - sure there are guided learning hours, but it dont take einstein to work out that somone who has been doing the regs for years does not need the same tuition as someone 'green':mad:

No, the requirement is that you do the full exam, thats it. And doing the 1 day update and doing the full exam instead of the update exam is the best way for expereinced people to do it.;)
totally totally agree but every training centre i've contacted on this tell me i have to do the full 4 day course .And of course they are, after all why sting me for the one day when they can sting me for the 4 day .
im looking for options

Hi Wayne, I had the same problem, I just wanted to do the exam. I am versitile with regs 15th, 16th and working throught the 17th now. Finally found a place who will let me just do the exam.

I am in a rush at the moment to go on, but depending where you are in the country there are places. Will post more information later.

Hi, This post is very informative, however there are some queries to ask about some specific topic. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Thanks,

why didnt you just take the update course, but sit the full exam instead of the update??

I dont like exisiting regs holders taking the full course.

the full course teaches the regs, but what people like you need too know is what has CHANGED in the regs. You wouldnt neccesarily get this through the full course

still, you pays your money, you takes your choice;)

Don't think i tried. I paid for the update but they told me pre 2001 you take the full course.
Mind you met some good lads in Bradford -And as i stayed for a couple of days i found some nice pubs/restaurants - Hmmm curry.

Reply to 2382 17th edition, easy or hard for apprentice in 2nd year in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock