Discuss 240 V 10 Watt LED bulbs extremely dull in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, I have replaced two outside 240V 60 watt halogen bayonet bulbs with two 240V 10 watt LED globes but the LED globes are extremely dull, like a candle. Have tried 4 globes in other sockets in the house and they are very bright. There is no dimmer or transformer. Any ideas?

Were the halogen lamps removed previously working? What is the voltage at the lamp holder? Maybe lost neutral, some leds give a dim glow when connected to live but not neutral.

Hi All, I have replaced two outside 240V 60 watt halogen bayonet bulbs with two 240V 10 watt LED globes but the LED globes are extremely dull, like a candle. Have tried 4 globes in other sockets in the house and they are very bright. There is no dimmer or transformer. Any ideas?
They may be 10w LEDs but what wattage are the equivalent to? Equivalent 10w LED will be like a candle in a jam jar. Got nothing to do with neutrals.

Hi MJDP29, Thanks for responding. Yes, the halogen bulbs work fine before and when I put them back and are 240V as are the LED ones. I have just noticed that the two contact points on the base of the LED bulbs are or a slightly lower profile than the ones on the traditional bulbs. The bayonet socket is spring loaded and I can feel that the bulb has contact but I'm wondering if there is some sort of connection issue? Also when pushing the LED bulbs into the socket and turning the bulb to lock it in, sometimes there is a bright flash of the bulb working at full capacity but it is for a millisecond and can't seen to connect any better than that. Perhaps change the sockets??? Not a qualified electrician and unable to get one to check this for 8 weeks or more! Must be good for business for our local electricians at the moment.

Reply to 240 V 10 Watt LED bulbs extremely dull in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net