Discuss 29 Year Old Wanting To Train As An Electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi peeps

Im currently 29 and wanting to change my career to become an electrician, can anyone please help on how this can be done at my age, the problem is i'm in full time work and need to be in full time work while training...is it possible to get an apprenticeship type of deal or does anyone take on while i'm learning, funding the qualification myself is a possibility but while i'm still in work is distance learning even a thing for this?

Thanks in advance

24+ learning loans will pay for the course like a student loan. get your 2365 L2 and 3. might find a college in your area where you can do it during the evenings. When doing the level 3 you might find somebody to take you on but its not a walk in the park which ever route you take.

24+ learning loans will pay for the course like a student loan. get your 2365 L2 and 3. might find a college in your area where you can do it during the evenings. When doing the level 3 you might find somebody to take you on but its not a walk in the park which ever route you take.

24+ learning loan only do it for the level 3 and higher.

Honestly no point if you can't commit time. No one sim going to hire an apprentice at twenty nine awho doesn't want to work during the day..
Not sure why you think I don't want to work in the day? If I was hired as an apprentice then I would work as an apprentice in the day ?
It was more of If I was to stay in my job and train by myself what are my options

You say you need to stay in full time work whilst training that’s why I thought you didn’t want to work during the day. There are lots of options otherwise but the post seems to be asking if becoming an electrician can be done with minimal time and effort which is not the case

When changing career you will need to be flexible and willing to take on board what you are being taught.

A potential employer is going to want to hear what you can offer them, not a list of demands which you expect from them.

You say you need to stay in full time work whilst training that’s why I thought you didn’t want to work during the day. There are lots of options otherwise but the post seems to be asking if becoming an electrician can be done with minimal time and effort which is not the case
No not the case at all, just that I have seen people take diffrent routes like 1 day a week collage, 2months fully in collage or distance learning, if it was an apprenticeship it would still be some form of full time work I would think or potential to do collage then get a job as a novice....I'm under no elusion about hard work Iv done 5 years on an apprentice program in the motor trade so graft doesn't bother me

No not the case at all, just that I have seen people take diffrent routes like 1 day a week collage, 2months fully in collage or distance learning, if it was an apprenticeship it would still be some form of full time work I would think or potential to do collage then get a job as a novice....I'm under no elusion about hard work Iv done 5 years on an apprentice program in the motor trade so graft doesn't bother me

I believe you may be getting colleges mixed up training centres. Proper colleges will have the 2365 full-time or part-time ( normally evening) courses in electrical installation which is around 3 year for either one. The full time is normally school leavers.

Where the 2 month courses and distance learning will be in one of the many production training (centres) scattered across the country who will charge twice possibly 3 times as much to get any willing participant to part with their cash.

Reply to 29 Year Old Wanting To Train As An Electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net