Discuss 3 phase conversion to 110 in residential USA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Moved into remote residential site in USA , devestated 3 years ago by tornado that took house, family and all buildings, poles etc. except well building and barn (where I am living for now) only remaining service is a 3 phase that went to well. For about 6-10 months I need to survive here till I can earn a bit of money and get proper 110 service put back in. This is what I want to know is can I temporairly convert some of this power for lights and power tools, etc to use 110 for my personal use.3 phase service.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rule #1 be very careful! Electricity can and does kill.

If you have a multimeter to measure the voltages that would help, as well as knowing the fuse rating.

Be very careful with a multimeter, as you can get the wrong readings easily and if on the wrong range/terminals (like ohms or amps) then it can explode if not adequately fused. So for electrical work that means the likes of CAT-III or CAT-IV rated:
Here are some examples:
Most meet III rating, many IV.

The wires from those fuses do not look very thick, so the current limit might be quite low. That will determine what you can run from it and for some tools the motor surge might be the limit to be aware of as it can blow fuses on start-up.

For voltages measure from fuse-fuse, and also from fuse to neutral (assuming there is a "cold" terminal for neutral?)

I am UK-based so someone like @Megawatt is far better placed to advise.

Moved into remote residential site in USA , devestated 3 years ago by tornado that took house, family and all buildings, poles etc. except well building and barn (where I am living for now) only remaining service is a 3 phase that went to well. For about 6-10 months I need to survive here till I can earn a bit of money and get proper 110 service put back in. This is what I want to know is can I temporairly convert some of this power for lights and power tools, etc to use 110 for my personal use.View attachment 94044
What is your voltage right now so I can help you out. 3 phase on a residential project

Looks like a old pump panel, most older ones had no neutral. Years ago had to use a transformer to get temp 120 volt power off a 240V 3 phase 3-wire service for a AG pump, the 3rd leg (high leg) was not even metered. More details are required.

Reply to 3 phase conversion to 110 in residential USA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net