Discuss 3 Phase Vacuum On Single Phase Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

xpistos

DIY
Reaction score
Absolutely losing my brain here guys

What I would like to be able to do is power our 3 phase motor on a single phase supply.

Thought I had it all figured out, motor is dual voltage, on 230v its pulls 30amps 8.6kW rating. Nice cheap option was a dps (compared to getting 3 phase installed or a rotary converter)

But then I notice this problem, on the motor its self the 230v doesn't have a delta symbol next to it, just realised its actually YY or double star.

This is where I really get confused, any information I can find online about YY is related to dual speed motors, which as far as I am aware this motor is not.

Second big issue is the DPS or any other type of 1-3 phase converter do not have a neutral leg, which it seems I now need as my two options for wiring the motor are either Y @ 415V or YY @ 230V.

What are my options here? The motor is the vacuum pump for a cnc router. The cnc was free, and runs from single phase power, the vacuum pump however is 3 phase is there a way I can still use the DPS I found (circa £400).

I have attached a photo of the info plate on the side of the motor, we are based in the UK.

If someone could please help I've spent hours trying to figure this out

Thank-you in advance

TL;DR
What converter / inverter / phase switcher / magic genie do I need to run the motor in the picture on a single phase supply?

Attachments

• 20231127_143403.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 6
Same situation as this thread?

Yes, I started that thread about suitable conversion options.

It was answered and I then noticed that all my information had previously been based on the assumption that the motor had delta and start configuration options, but I have now realised the lower voltage is some kind of dual star.

As a result I started a new thread that opened woth the image of the name plate to ask if a converter was a viable option for a motor with no delta configuration option.

Reply to 3 Phase Vacuum On Single Phase Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net