• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 3p breaker feeding 3 x 1p circuits in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi everyone.

I may be blind but I can't find a definitive answer.

Can I use a 3 pole breaker (originally feeding a massive 3 phase heater) to feed 3 single phase circuits?

I've run seperate neutrals for the 3 new circuits and the breaker is rated for the load required - 30a per phase (I'd be installing 3 x 32a breakers if I could, but the age of the board makes this a pain).

Killing all the circuits in the event of a problem won't be an issue - they're all in my workshop.

So - is it permitted?

There are no socket outlets involved

It will still function as would a single-pole device but you will lose three circuits if a fault occurs on one. Not the end of the world but probably falls foul of Reg 314.2, what make is the board.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not worried about losing 3 circuits in the event of a fault. Board is a square D circa 1990 full of old black QO breakers.

The whole installation is going to be inspected so it needs to be right - or at least acceptable.

Problem with the device you have reused is that it is a Type 4. How have you proved disconnection times will be met.

Charlie_

-
Arms
A fault on one circuit shouldn’t effect another circuit?
Also because they are all on the same ocpd would it be classed as one circuit not 3?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh cool - saw those they're not exactly the same but the look like they'd fit.

I've attached an image - I'm replacing the top 3p breaker.
IMG_20190706_182822.jpg

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
£14. that's cheap.had to get a 32A 3p QO MCB for a garage rolling road. £116 + VAT.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if i remember, the rolling road was fed from a 20A 3 phase MCB with a 6.0mm SWA. clowns came and installed a new machine 27A/phase and wondered why it was tripping out on load.

Charlie_

-
Arms
if i remember, the rolling road was fed from a 20A 3 phase MCB with a 6.0mm SWA. clowns came and installed a new machine 27A/phase and wondered why it was tripping out on load.
And the same clowns were still sat there in the van trying to drive home

Westward they are a big item 3phase breakers I’ve seen them from 15 amps to 4000 amps and they sell them a lot of them hers
We are talking miniature circuit breakers here the Square D QO range which are discontinued. Schneider who bought them out still produce single pole devices but not triple pole.

Megawatt

-
Arms
We are talking miniature circuit breakers here the Square D QO range which are discontinued. Schneider who bought them out still produce single pole devices but not triple pole.
Sorry I didn’t know westward

Reply to 3p breaker feeding 3 x 1p circuits in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom