Discuss 3p breaker feeding 3 x 1p circuits in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I may be blind but I can't find a definitive answer.

Can I use a 3 pole breaker (originally feeding a massive 3 phase heater) to feed 3 single phase circuits?

I've run seperate neutrals for the 3 new circuits and the breaker is rated for the load required - 30a per phase (I'd be installing 3 x 32a breakers if I could, but the age of the board makes this a pain).

Killing all the circuits in the event of a problem won't be an issue - they're all in my workshop.

So - is it permitted?

There are no socket outlets involved

It will still function as would a single-pole device but you will lose three circuits if a fault occurs on one. Not the end of the world but probably falls foul of Reg 314.2, what make is the board.

Not worried about losing 3 circuits in the event of a fault. Board is a square D circa 1990 full of old black QO breakers.

The whole installation is going to be inspected so it needs to be right - or at least acceptable.

Problem with the device you have reused is that it is a Type 4. How have you proved disconnection times will be met.

A fault on one circuit shouldn’t effect another circuit?
Also because they are all on the same ocpd would it be classed as one circuit not 3?

Oh cool - saw those they're not exactly the same but the look like they'd fit.

I've attached an image - I'm replacing the top 3p breaker.
3p breaker feeding 3 x 1p circuits IMG_20190706_182822 - EletriciansForums.net

Thruppence for a breaker. That’s cheap

ÂŁ14. that's cheap.had to get a 32A 3p QO MCB for a garage rolling road. ÂŁ116 + VAT.

ÂŁ14. that's cheap.had to get a 32A 3p QO MCB for a garage rolling road. ÂŁ116 + VAT.
I don't think Schneider continued the production of the triple-pole devices for very long.

if i remember, the rolling road was fed from a 20A 3 phase MCB with a 6.0mm SWA. clowns came and installed a new machine 27A/phase and wondered why it was tripping out on load.

if i remember, the rolling road was fed from a 20A 3 phase MCB with a 6.0mm SWA. clowns came and installed a new machine 27A/phase and wondered why it was tripping out on load.

And the same clowns were still sat there in the van trying to drive home

"Quick! Put your foot down, tel is coming and he's wrapped in a floral blanket"

He turned his back on them

Attachments

• 3p breaker feeding 3 x 1p circuits 8B85F19C-92AA-409A-8E7E-103778760D2A - EletriciansForums.net
    8B85F19C-92AA-409A-8E7E-103778760D2A.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 4

Reply to 3p breaker feeding 3 x 1p circuits in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock