Discuss 4-Way Switch Anomalies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dvaughn

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there. It's my first time both on this forum. I am a first-time homeowner doing some DIY projects but have run into a problem.

I replaced the light switches on the first floor with push-button switches from Prange Electric (Prange & Company Electric - http://www.prangeelectric.com). All of the single pole and 3-way switches work perfectly, but I have had nothing but problems with the 4-way switches (of which there are five).

Each 4-way switch controls a light with a 3-way switch and a 3-way dimmer. The problem is that the 4-way switch has to be switched on in order for the other two switches to work. If the 4-way is switched off, the other two switches cannot control the light. Additionally, if the 4-way is switched on and the (non-dimmer) 3-way switch is switched off, I can't turn the light back on with the 4-way –– but I can turn it back on with the 3-way dimmer switch. This problem did not exist with the previous setup of a one 4-way switch and two 3-way switches.

The wires in the electrical box are unlabeled and all the same color. When I wired the new switches in, I tried to make sure I transferred the wires from corresponding spots on the previous switches. I have labeled them to keep them in order, but no matter what combination I try (5 different attempts so far) the same problem is reproduced.

I used a voltage tester to identify the hot wires, but once I did, labeled them, and switched them in order; the same problem persisted, and when I checked the voltage meter again, it was telling me the opposite wires are hot.

I included a picture. Note that the wire configuration originally began with 1 on the top-left and (moving clockwise) A, B, and 2. (And the two wires that are marked as hot no longer read as hot.)

Anybody out there see what I am missing? Thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi there. It's my first time both on this forum. I am a first-time homeowner doing some DIY projects but have run into a problem.

I replaced the light switches on the first floor with push-button switches from Prange Electric (Prange & Company Electric - http://www.prangeelectric.com). All of the single pole and 3-way switches work perfectly, but I have had nothing but problems with the 4-way switches (of which there are five).

Each 4-way switch controls a light with a 3-way switch and a 3-way dimmer. The problem is that the 4-way switch has to be switched on in order for the other two switches to work. If the 4-way is switched off, the other two switches cannot control the light. Additionally, if the 4-way is switched on and the (non-dimmer) 3-way switch is switched off, I can't turn the light back on with the 4-way –– but I can turn it back on with the 3-way dimmer switch. This problem did not exist with the previous setup of a one 4-way switch and two 3-way switches.

The wires in the electrical box are unlabeled and all the same color. When I wired the new switches in, I tried to make sure I transferred the wires from corresponding spots on the previous switches. I have labeled them to keep them in order, but no matter what combination I try (5 different attempts so far) the same problem is reproduced.

I used a voltage tester to identify the hot wires, but once I did, labeled them, and switched them in order; the same problem persisted, and when I checked the voltage meter again, it was telling me the opposite wires are hot.

I included a picture. Note that the wire configuration originally began with 1 on the top-left and (moving clockwise) A, B, and 2. (And the two wires that are marked as hot no longer read as hot.)

Anybody out there see what I am missing? Thanks.
Try it this way because you have you have you travelers crossed some where

Attachments

• 14FC2636-106F-4948-95D9-C337BA4128F4.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 9

Reply to 4-Way Switch Anomalies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net