Discuss 5v 4amp Charger For Phone - Make My Own in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

unclebob

Does anyone have or able to design me a circuit diagram to convert from mains AC to 5v dc to charge two devices at 2.1amp each? ive seen a design for a single 1amp output but not two at 2.1amp?

http://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/cell-phone-charger-circuit-diagram

is the circuit i've seen...

Only reason i'm looking to build my own is that its to go inside a pop up socket where there is an existing 1amp charger but is pants and doesnt charge more demanding phones/tablets etc. I want to replace the usb charging part within the pop up socket but leave the outside case etc intact.

i assume i can do away with teh lamp at the top? and says 0..15v, is this adjustable or does it need the tight components to set it to 5v?

it's adjustable. 0 - 15V. sure there will be other diagrams on the internet.just search google for stabilised power supply diagrams.

I would look for something a bit more modern than a 741/2N3055 regulator system! The size of the transformer and transistor (TO3 metal package) alone will mean the size would be prohibitive. Go for a more modern switching type power supply. To be honest, unless you really want to design your own, I would go for a pre-built module or kit - they are very cheap these days. Daz

Thanks DPG, are you able to link me to an example or some key words to search for? electronics isnt my strong suit, happy to be able to follow the diagrams and assemble, but not design!

As per DPG's post. any of these linear regulated PSU designs will be huge and hot compared to an off-the-shelf switcher - that's why they aren't used for any commercial products. They have their advantages but being small and running cool definitely aren't two of them. You can get a nice 5V 5A PSU around smoke-packet size e.g. http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/ptd-0505pa/ac-adaptor-5v-5a-regulated/dp/PW02604
http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/ptd-0505pa/ac-adaptor-5v-5a-regulated/dp/PW02604
However I agree that the simplest solution would be to relocate or extend the ports of a USB3.0 powered hub, as this will also take care of the charge rate identification. If you leave the existing USB ports as they are, the connected device won't know there's 2.1A available and won't charge any faster.

Reply to 5v 4amp Charger For Phone - Make My Own in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net