Discuss 6 core flex mains and low voltage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
CP electricians supply a 6 core cable from their lighting control boxes that supplies a mains voltage emergency light,, 2 cores of this are 18v dimmable switching.

A led lighting company have provided the led lights and drivers that connects to the 6 core flex however their emergency pack and dimmable driver are 2 seperate items so they say to strip the 6 core back so 4 cores go into the mains voltage plug and the 2 core go to the dimmable driver. Is this right it looks very poor practise to me?

6 core flex mains and low voltage IMG_20190408_121146 - EletriciansForums.net

Containment and strain relief?
just trying to get out of mine.
6 core flex mains and low voltage {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I could make my 2 pair longer to eradicate the strain relief, but didn't know if there was a reg as the mains voltage and low voltage is contained within the same flex, that seperating it that way wouldn't be acceptable?

They are 18v dimmable cables but they come from a 6 core flex which also contains 230 v cables self contained as one flex. If someone cut that flex they would become mains rated if the fault protection failed

Thanks, really appreciate your reply it just seems really poor workmanship to me. Single insulated cables exposed that have the potential to become mains rated if the flex is cut. The amount CP sell it must meet regs but wanted some valued opinions on it.

Thanks

The possible transfer of different voltage bands is only relevant during normal operations.

We use CP Electronics all the time and we had the same issue as your photo with Concord/Sylvania D.D. Em. LED 600x600 panels, what we did was ditch the flex and install 4 core (3C & E) flex and a 2 core flex for the dim pair two flexes from the plug. If we had known we would have just ordered the luminaire plug with no flex.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use CP Electronics all the time and we had the same issue as your photo with Concord/Sylvania D.D. Em. LED 600x600 panels, what we did was ditch the flex and install 4 core (3C & E) flex and a 2 core flex for the dim pair two flexes from the plug. If we had known we would have just ordered the luminaire plug with no flex.

Would make more sense and certainly a higher quality finish Thanks bud

Would make more sense and certainly a higher quality finish Thanks bud
Your welcome we had to think about how we could overcome the same problem the plugs have two clamps one for each flex if needed it's not until you have the light fitting on site you realise it won't work to two separate components.

As a resolution could you not just insert a small junction box prior to the plug to allow a short length of four core and two core to exit to the appropriate plugs, though anthonybragg's solution is better in the initial install.

As a resolution could you not just insert a small junction box prior to the plug to allow a short length of four core and two core to exit to the appropriate plugs, though anthonybragg's solution is better in the initial install.
With respect Richard it is so easy to wire the flexes directly into these plugs from past experience also you would have to get a 6 terminal J.B.

Reply to 6 core flex mains and low voltage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock