Discuss 6mm or 10mm for cooker? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever come across a cooker that needs 10mm but I may err on the side of caution with this one.
Rangemaster Leckford deluxe 110cm induction range cooker.
14.8kW, states required a 45A supply.
No info on cable size.
With diversity a 6mm will be ok. Plus ref method C gives a ccc of 47A for 6mm.
But... it's close. Would you use 10mm?

We had a Rangemaster, with gas hobs. Manufacturer stated 40A supply. We had it connected by one of their ’engineers’, cos they would take away the old cooker, a Curry’s free deal thing.

He said we were lucky, we had a 40A supply, otherwise he couldn’t connect it up.

Clamped it some later going full guns (two ovens and grill). Never pulled more than 14A.

Think it says in app 15, that 6mm is good for radial cooker appliances up to 15kW. But I’d go for 10mm, not much of a price difference.

We have a rangemaster that stated 40a mcb. It's wired in 6mm and on a 32a mcb. Never did get round to changing it but causes absolutely no problems.

I don't think I've ever come across a cooker that needs 10mm but I may err on the side of caution with this one.
Rangemaster Leckford deluxe 110cm induction range cooker.
14.8kW, states required a 45A supply.
No info on cable size.
With diversity a 6mm will be ok. Plus ref method C gives a ccc of 47A for 6mm.
But... it's close. Would you use 10mm?
6mm not 10mm but 6mm think of diversity

Cheers guys,
I got through rangemaster who stated a 10mm was required. They didn't really give a proper response as to why, but in reality I think a 10mm for this type of cooker is best as any variance in reference type would mean the 6mm is not adequate.
Didn't have enough 10mm on the van so back tomorrow!

10mmis just a waste of copper. think of the polar beara and install 6mm.

The manufacturer obviously hasn't just taken the 14.8kW and based their current rating on that, so there may be a good reason they state 45A supply.
Personally I highly doubt a supply over 32A is actually required but without seeing the detailed specs for the appliance I won't commit to that.

The only time I've known a domestic cooker need more than 32A was a massive dual fuel thing with gas hobs and electric ovens made by wolf. The manufacturers said it needed 50A which was based on the total power rating, so we installed 10mm but we could only get a 45A MCB so that's what we fitted.
It was absolutely fine in normal use, but when the customer put all of the ovens (I've got a feeling there were 4) into self cleaning mode at the same time it overloaded and tripped the 45A mcb.

The soloution was obviously to advise the customer not to clean all of the ovens at once.

I would put it on 6mm and have done and if rangemaster refused to connect it up would do it myself, it could never actually run 15kw no way on earth, bit of 10mm never hurt I suppose but if it says it in the onsite guide it's good enough for me

Is the refrence method really C? Or is that the one that allows you to skimp? Ridiculous not to run a 10mm t&e to any new cooker or shower in my opinion, i use very little 6mm t&e these days.

I've noticed that over the last couple of years or so larger domestic cookers or ranges being available and purchased by customers either on-line or from the likes of Currys, John Lewis etc and likewise five ring instead of four ring hobs. I wonder if they're setting up cafes in their homes. Anyway, bigger appliances, bigger currents. I tend to check and calculate first and not just rely on 6mm as the go to norm anymore.

I bought new Range-master estate 90 dual cooker, I have got 6mm coming from the fuse for the old cooker. The cooker requires a 10m for connection. Now do i have to take a 1om from fuse box to the cooker socket in the kitchen. Please advise.

I bought new Range-master estate 90 dual cooker, I have got 6mm coming from the fuse for the old cooker. The cooker requires a 10m for connection. Now do i have to take a 1om from fuse box to the cooker socket in the kitchen. Please advise.
10mm for the entirety of the circuit, time to get a spark in

Yep from the consumer unit (fuse) all the way to the isolation point and then on to the cooker connector plate…..have you thought about a lower power oven? 😬
So 10m from the fuse box to the main cooker socket replacing the 6m. That would need an outlet box to. Please advise on that. This cooker do not have any cables attached to it, you have to make it from the 10m cable to attach to the cooker socket. Pls correct me if i am wrong. RANGEMASTER DUAL COOKER ESTATE 90.

Reply to 6mm or 10mm for cooker? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock