Discuss 6mm or 10mm for cooker? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So 10m from the fuse box to the main cooker socket replacing the 6m. That would need an outlet box to. Please advise on that. This cooker do not have any cables attached to it, you have to make it from the 10m cable to attach to the cooker socket. Pls correct me if i am wrong. RANGEMASTER DUAL COOKER ESTATE 90.
No you’d need an equivalent size flexible and probably heat resistant cable as 10 mm flat t&e isn’t considered flexible and suitable for moving the oven in and out, I’ll be honest and I rarely use this statement but I think you’ll need an electrician to install this for you 👍🏻

So 10m from the fuse box to the main cooker socket replacing the 6m. That would need an outlet box to. Please advise on that. This cooker do not have any cables attached to it, you have to make it from the 10m cable to attach to the cooker socket. Pls correct me if i am wrong. RANGEMASTER DUAL COOKER ESTAT I had one of those exact same range cookers. I did pre install a 40amp supply. The engineer from Range Master

I had a Range Master Dual fuel. They required a 40A supply. After install, I clamped the supply, and with everything at full bore, I only every got a reading of 14A.

What model have you got?

Are you certain the model number you gave is correct? Manufacturer's spec. gives a maximum electrical load of 7.4kW before any diversity is applied. That does not equate to 10mm2 minimum supply cable unless the cable has several derating factors applied to it, or is unusually long.
IMHO, the manufacturer is exceeding their remit by commenting on the size of the supply cable. That is down to many variables which they cannot have any knowledge of, and the required size should be determined by the competent electrician designing the circuit.

Last edited:
I had a Range Master Dual fuel. They required a 40A supply. After install, I clamped the supply, and with everything at full bore, I only every got a reading of 14A.

What model have you got?
Rangemaster estate 90 dual fuel Now i have got the old 6m cable from the fuse box to the kitchen socke, which is the Wessex White 45A DP Cooker Unit Switched Socket + Neon. But this cooker requires a 10m cable as stated in the use guide. Does mean now that i have to bring a 10m cable from the fuse box to the kitchen unit and then 10m cable to the cooker. Plus an outlet unit has to be attached to the cooker unit. Pls tell me if this the right way.

Rangemaster estate 90 dual fuel Now i have got the old 6m cable from the fuse box to the kitchen socke, which is the Wessex White 45A DP Cooker Unit Switched Socket + Neon. But this cooker requires a 10m cable as stated in the use guide. Does mean now that i have to bring a 10m cable from the fuse box to the kitchen unit and then 10m cable to the cooker. Plus an outlet unit has to be attached to the cooker unit. Pls tell me if this the right way.
Read and understand just what Midwest is saying. If you cannot understand get in touch with someone who can.
Whatever, get someone qualified, in person, to sort out your problem, on site.
Not a DIY job.

If you read this thread from the beginning, you might be more informed. I’ve just tried to find the total electrical load for this oven, on Rangemaster web site, but can’t find it. Perhaps you can OP, then we might be able to provide the total load after applying diversity.

In my case, I had previously fitted a 40A supply, some time before. Later we decided upon this oven. Only had Rangemaster fit it, as removing the old oven was part of the deal. When their engineers came, he said he was glad I had a 40A supply, otherwise he couldn’t fit, which I thought was nonsense at the time, hence me experimenting, by clamping it.

If I recall, it has main electric oven, smaller side oven and a grill. Post those individual figures.

If that model is correct then according to the pdf spec on their website it states a maximum load of 7.4kW

The cooker requires a 10m for connection

Where did you get this info from?
The only reference I can see to cable size is on P29 where it shows 10mm max which is the maximum cable size for that connector

Maybe you can supply a photo of the voltage label on the back of the cooker to confirm exactly what is required?

Terminology is very important harry, it's 10mm, not 10m. Once you have installed the new circuit how do you intend on testing and certifying it?

This cooker has a maximum load of 7.4kW. After diversity, this equates to less than 18A. It could be argued that 2.5mm2 is adequate, although I hope that most would fit 4.0mm2.
If this was the all electric version of this model, then 10mm2 would probably be about right.
I have a similar range to the one in question in my living room, and that is supplied by 4.0mm2 T&E.

If that model is correct then according to the pdf spec on their website it states a maximum load of 7.4kW

Where did you get this info from?
The only reference I can see to cable size is on P29 where it shows 10mm max which is the maximum cable size for that connector

Maybe you can supply a photo of the voltage label on the back of the cooker to confirm exactly what is required?
Hello the cooker book say 10m cable, thats ok, but i have got al old 6m coming from the trip box to the kitchen socket, the one with the 2 red buttons for the normal size cooker with plug on. But this cookers is different its got no cables at the bck of it. What i need to know if i have to like to like cables for the cooker, by replacing the 6m for the 10m from the fuse box to the kitchen socket and then use the 10m from the cooker to that socket which will require a outlet box to. I hope u can understand this pls.

This cooker has a maximum load of 7.4kW. After diversity, this equates to less than 18A. It could be argued that 2.5mm2 is adequate, although I hope that most would fit 4.0mm2.
If this was the all electric version of this model, then 10mm2 would probably be about right.
Your cooker does not require a 10.0mm2 supply cable
If there is a 13A socket on the cooker panel, then it excludes 2.5mm2, but 4.0mm2 is fine. Even your existing 6mm2 is overkill, assuming it isn't unusually long or passes through insulation.

Hello the cooker book say 10m cable, thats ok, but i have got al old 6m coming from the trip box to the kitchen socket, the one with the 2 red buttons for the normal size cooker with plug on. But this cookers is different its got no cables at the bck of it. What i need to know if i have to like to like cables for the cooker, by replacing the 6m for the 10m from the fuse box to the kitchen socket and then use the 10m from the cooker to that socket which will require a outlet box to. I hope u can understand this pls.
You have already said all of that
Maybe you can read my previous reply and answer the questions I asked?

Where did you get the info that says it requires a 10mm cable?
Post a photo of the data plate on the back of the cooker or post here what info it says on it?

Nobody can give you an answer without the relevant information. If you can't or won't answer then I suggest you get an electrician to do it for you (which you should do anyway as stated in the manual)

You have already said all of that
Maybe you can read my previous reply and answer the questions I asked?

Where did you get the info that says it requires a 10mm cable?
Post a photo of the data plate on the back of the cooker or post here what info it says on it?

Nobody can give you an answer without the relevant information. If you can't or won't answer then I suggest you get an electrician to do it for you (which you should do anyway as stated in the manual)
To be fair to OP, I seem to recall that’s what my manual said. And if I recall, had the same response from Rangemaster when I’d previously asked when installing for another customer.

I think it’s RM standard response, when it actually probably only relates to their all electric ovens, as someone else (was it you) has previously said.

To be fair to OP, I seem to recall that’s what my manual said. And if I recall, had the same response from Rangemaster when I’d previously asked when installing for another customer.

I think it’s RM standard response, when it actually probably only relates to their all electric ovens, as someone else (was it you) has previously said.
I agree and looking at the manual it is a bit vague but as I said in my previous post, the OP probably read the 10mm max so I asked to confirm where the info came from

As well as my questions and others have asked questions which are still unanswered, the OP keeps asking the same questions over and over and ignoring people who are trying to help
This does not inspire confidence, and if the OP cannot answer these simple questions then how can he install this safely which IMO he should not be doing if he can't give the correct info in the first place, and I'm not asking technical questions, I'm merely asking where he got the info and to post the info on the plate

I will post the relevant section of the manual for him to read...

Here are some relevant points, some of which have already been asked...

"Check the appliance is electrically safe when you have finished"
How is this going to be achieved?

"The cooker must be installed by a qualified electrician..."

"The cooker must be connected to the correct electrical supply as stated on the voltage label on the cooker"

Rm.PNG

I've got to say it, I'm trying not to...... but I've got to..... I'm going to, soon.....

Still trying not to.... but here it comes..... Nope, not going to, staying calm, carry on with beer.

Reply to 6mm or 10mm for cooker? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net