Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss 6mm T&E joined to x2 2.5mm swa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dipzy

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope you are all having a good Easter Bank holiday.

Saw this the other day and just wanted people's opinions/thoughts please. (I was there installing led floodlights to the front and rear gardens only).

6mm T&E coming from the C/U into and along the attached garage wall approx 8m run, clipped direct terminating into a galv adp box, protected by a 32A mcb and RCD.

2 x 2.5 mm swa cables (totalling 5mm csa?) joined to the T&E in the galv adp box and run underground to the outbuilding to a 2 way garage c/u supplying lights and sockets for a "man cave".

Armour not earthed at either end (had a quick look) but cpc's are.

Bad practise, acceptable or not? Just to help with my learning from more wiser and experienced peers.

Thanks,
D

Hi,

Hope you are all having a good Easter Bank holiday.

Saw this the other day and just wanted people's opinions/thoughts please. (I was there installing led floodlights to the front and rear gardens only).

6mm T&E coming from the C/U into and along the attached garage wall approx 8m run, clipped direct terminating into a galv adp box, protected by a 32A mcb and RCD.

2 x 2.5 mm swa cables (totalling 5mm csa?) joined to the T&E in the galv adp box and run underground to the outbuilding to a 2 way garage c/u supplying lights and sockets for a "man cave".

Armour not earthed at either end (had a quick look) but cpc's are.

Bad practise, acceptable or not? Just to help with my learning from more wiser and experienced peers.

Thanks,
D

523.7 in BYB regarding conductors in parallel.

The SWA should be earthed at at least one end ( the sypply end is the way i was taught) if not being used the cpc. If being used as the cpc then it should be earthed at both ends.

So it does not comly with BS7671 if it is not earthed.

This is not my job and has from what i belive been done last summer. The swa is run underground, under patio and new turf etc.

That was my question too, why on earth?

Bit of an odd way of doing it, unless the 2x2.5 SWA's were existing cable but I can't see anything wrong other than the fact that the swa armour should be glanded properly to earth with monicle as mentioned above. I assume the cpc is one of the cores within the swa rather than a separate single cable? Also is the t&e inside or outside the garage clipped direct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of an odd way of doing it, unless the 2x2.5 SWA's were existing cable but I can't see anything wrong other than the fact that the swa armour should be glanded properly to earth with monicle as mentioned above. I assume the cpc is one of the cores within the swa rather than a separate single cable? Also is the t&e inside or outside the garage clipped direct?

The T&E is clipped direct to the inner wall of the attached/integral garage so is protected from the elements and is joined to the SWA in the galv box. The cpc of the T&E is joined to one pair of the cores of the SWA, don't think the armour is earthed at all. However the complete run of the cables is protected by an RCD at the origin.

I appreciate what you are saying Simonslimline, regarding 523.7 and the above meets that regulation.
It is a bit of an oddity given the small csa of the cables but I think it is compliant with BS7671.

Perhaps the builder of the "man cave" had a load of 2.5 mm2 SWA left over and decided to parallel it ?

The T&E is clipped direct to the inner wall of the attached/integral garage so is protected from the elements and is joined to the SWA in the galv box. The cpc of the T&E is joined to one pair of the cores of the SWA, don't think the armour is earthed at all. However the complete run of the cables is protected by an RCD at the origin.

I appreciate what you are saying Simonslimline, regarding 523.7 and the above meets that regulation.
It is a bit of an oddity given the small csa of the cables but I think it is compliant with BS7671.

Perhaps the builder of the "man cave" had a load of 2.5 mm2 SWA left over and decided to parallel it ?

More than likely yes.

This method would normally be used to save costs on much larger supplies i would think. Seems a tad odd to do it with some 2.5mm2, although if it complies then not an issue. The SWA not being earthed is certainly an issue though.

No unfortunately, no pictures.

I only saw it as I was running my cables for the front and rear garden floodlights and thought it a bit odd.

I would advise the client of what you have seen (Just my opinion)

As long as your work complies with 7671 then no issue anyway. You are not responsible for some others lash up of a job.

Thanks for your responses.

On a different tack, how would it be coded on an EICR? C2, C3? Just interested in opinions (not doing a report or anything).

Reply to 6mm T&E joined to x2 2.5mm swa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net