Discuss 90 days self assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was speaking to the accountant today and apparently as of 2022 we will need to submit a tax return every 90 days so they are putting their price up significantly

anyone else heard about this 90 day new rule ?

It is all part of the Making Tax Digital (MTD) plan to help the government collect tax from the self employed more regularly. I think it remains to be seen if it is workable without costing businesses a fortune to operate it

It is all part of the Making Tax Digital (MTD) plan to help the government collect tax from the self employed more regularly. I think it remains to be seen if it is workable without costing businesses a fortune to operate it

our accountant is putting their price up nearly 500%

Just run your own accounts... it's very easy to do. I use some free software that fully supports MTD electronic submissions which also covers VAT returns too.

500% then i would find a new accountant.

I pay mine just short of £80 per month inc VAT who does year end accounts, VAT returns and other random things I cant do myself when processing payments.
I use Xero so she can log in remotely and it all joins up in the clouds.
Was using QUickbooks but it was causing issues with my salary and rolling over into a new financial year.
If a sole trader then I see no reason why you cant do your own via some software. there are plenty of good options out there

It's called Quickfile... but there are several packages out there. It's free for smaller users like me as I'm just a one-man-band and have < 1,000 transactions per year. After that I think it's like £45 for a year... which is still cheap compared to the rest of the market.
I use Quickfile too - has some nice features for a one man band - with invoicing etc built in, and a lot simpler than Tradify or similar, which I've tried but are just too complicated for sole trader setups imo.

I need the power user option, which is £45+vat per year, so very reasonable...

Only hassle is setting up the tagging etc, and entering jobs and expenses outside of the automated bank feeds or generated invoices ..but that's hassle whatever software you use...

Those of us with ltd companies have had to deal with the making tax digital crap for a couple of years now.

Basically meant you had to purchase software such as QuickBooks or Xero etc. No more doing it on a spreadsheet. Yet another cost to pass on to the customer

Basically meant you had to purchase software such as QuickBooks or Xero etc. No more doing it on a spreadsheet. Yet another cost to pass on to the customer
You could view it as a saving too... I use QuickFile, which is free for me as a 'small user' but would be £45 per year for big ones. Even at full price, the software easily saves me a couple of hours a year... just saying. Even if you just use it for filing VAT returns (takes <1 min) it's a winner !

(I've just looked up the cost of Xero... £30/month... it would need to be very special for me to be paying £360/year !)

I wonder what the fines are for late filing... As could be cheaper than paying accountant to do 4 tax returns a year.

No it won't be cheaper.
You'll have to pay the fine for each failed return.
You'll have to pay HMRC's assessment of your earnings, for each failed return (based on other similar businesses) which will be more than your's would be.
And you'll still have to pay to have your correct assessments done, for each failed return, to get a refund on the overcharge, but not the fine.

don’t see any way round the accountants price rises other than to pass it on to my customers , much like ehen joining a scam you just add £45 on to every notifiable job through the year …

Reply to 90 days self assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock