Discuss A Couple of Quickies! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thats what i was saying i do.:D

But Andy has spoken to the NIC and they told him its only the part thats been worked on.

Not sure how you are supposed to do this on a RFC or if you are extending a radial and the new cable is less than 50mm etc etc.

If you are installing a socket or the new cable is less than 50mm etc etc, then you have to fit an rcd as per the regs.
The op was about a light fitted in the loft.
My point was that the way I read it you do not have to fit an rcd because other parts of the existing circuit is in a wall less than 50mm deep with no earth protection.

Thats what i was saying i do.:D

It just seems mad that you have to turn down a job that could lead to an improvement in safety just because it does not correct everything. The customer then turns to someone who is not qualified.:mad:

Is there not a body or union or something that can look into this type of scenario for the electrician. It just seems to be encouraging a black market in illicit/cowboy electrical work (if you know what i mean)

My point was that the way I read it you do not have to fit an rcd because other parts of the existing circuit is in a wall less than 50mm deep with no earth protection.

Your point on page 1 of this thread is sensble IMO. The article that lenny linked to says that is not the case though the whole of the circuit would have to be protected and that pointing this out to the customer on a certificate would not be a defence. In my own mind i am not 100% convinced of the author's arguments as BS 7671:2008 are guidelines and not statutory, so to my mind you could argue that your work could be improving safety even though it did not meet those guidelines - even if you did have to do it in a court of law :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are installing a socket or the new cable is less than 50mm etc etc, then you have to fit an rcd as per the regs.
The op was about a light fitted in the loft.

Absolutely agree, however, how do we go about this if we are extending or altering a few sockets on an existing RFC or extending a cooker radial circuit to the other side of the room that has no RCD protection?

Pushrod, there are many, many things in this industry that are totally incomprehensible, but most of the time, you just kinda accept it and do the best you can.

There will ALWAYS be unqualified or unregistered tradesmen in ANY industry doing what they please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely agree, however, how do we go about this if we are extending or altering a few sockets on an existing RFC or extending a cooker radial circuit to the other side of the room that has no RCD protection?

You have to fit an rcd as per my previous post.

Reply to A Couple of Quickies! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock