Discuss A good example why not to use a Twist connector! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never used the twisters but seen them on display at wholesalers and don't like the look of them. I do use the ideal push connectors and find them really good and quick can't see the need for twisters as the push connectors are MF any way, would like to see what ideal expect us to put them as at present only seems to be line enclosures which meet regs

according to their book the twisters comply with BS7671 and the push ins to BS7671 and classed as maintenance free post no 61

I have been banging my drum about this type of misleading information for a while now. The IDEAL push in connectors are marked MF (in literature and on the box) ..... BUT not MF BS5733 (they do not meet BS5733).

IDEAL are not alone in doing this with the likes of WAGO, Chocbox, HAGER, Click etc all on the bandwagon. As they are not saying, in this case, MF BS5733 trading standards can not do anything about it.

The ESC, NICEIC etc are also not interested in doing anything to pressurise manufacturers to do something about it (or train their assessors to recognise those products that do not meet bs7671) - they also don't think it's their responsibility to communicate this to their members! (I am sure I read somewhere that they exist to oversee a higher standard and safer installations but I must have been wrong)

So, as always, it's the trade that is conned but, pays the registration fees yet has to bare the responsibility should anything go wrong with the installation!

Would like to hear ideals come back from that post, bending of the rules I think. Also line why do none of the big wholesalers sell your stuff ie Neweys, I work labour only at present so cant get your stuff as client only wants to use his existing accounts

Would like to hear ideals come back from that post, bending of the rules I think. Also line why do none of the big wholesalers sell your stuff ie Neweys, I work labour only at present so cant get your stuff as client only wants to use his existing accounts

Its a an ongoing battle. They won't stock unless the customers want etc,etc. The bigger groups also get political and need 10 layers to sign off before going ahead. CEF is growing steadily and can order in from other branches. Senate will order in. I think I should offer you guys a commission for getting us into some of these places?

Its a an ongoing battle. They won't stock unless the customers want etc,etc. The bigger groups also get political and need 10 layers to sign off before going ahead. CEF is growing steadily and can order in from other branches. Senate will order in. I think I should offer you guys a commission for getting us into some of these places?

You know that we fly the flag whenever we can at the wholesalers, but it's really hard when most electricians are still ordering the awful old JB's and don't know any different. I think a big feature in PE on the benefits of your products would help a lot. I don't know anyone who would go back to JB's once they've used your enclosures and kits, but getting them to try in the first place is the problem. What is the first thing I walk in to when I go to Edmunsons? Ideal twist connectors is what!

They are usually used in wiring connection inside washing machine.

Never seen them in any washing machine i've had apart!! They do use crimped multi connector type things, that i must admit, at first glance look very much like a twist connector.

How long do you think a twist connector would last in a washing machine, that's shaking at the start of every spin cycle, especially when under loaded, or the load has become unbalanced??

In the past all domestic aluminium conductors in junction-boxes were welded together. Now we use ultrasonic friction welders for that purpose. Only welded or soldered connections are reliable enough.

Last edited:

Reply to A good example why not to use a Twist connector! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net