Discuss A little help starting my own company in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I am losing the will to live and would very much appreciate any help anyone can give.
I am a qualified electrician who has undertaken a full apprenticeship. I will list my qualifications a little later on in the post.
I have Worked my entire working career in the electrical industry working for a company that mainly works in commercial and light industrial installations. I have recently been furloughed and am trying to make a go of starting my own company but starting as a sole trader trying to get local work which I understand will mainly be domestic which I have a fair knowledge of.

Everywhere I look most domestic work is notifiable under part P which is causing me an issue as I haven't got a clue how you go about notifying the notifiable work. Sadly even though completing an apprenticeship this isn't something you are taught.
I would Join the NICEIC or NAPIT but at this moment in time its not viable as I'm not sure with the amount of competition in the area if there will be enough work to cover the cost.

The Following are my qualifications:
JIB Gold Card Holder - Completed AM2
NVQ Level 3 Diploma installing Electrotechnical Systems and equipment (BSE)
BS7671:2018 Wiring regulations
City and Guilds 2391-50 Initial verification of electrical installations
City and Guilds 2391-51 Periodic inspection and testing of electrical installations

I am really struggling with all the different conflicting information and as someone who has gone through a 4 year aprentiship cant believe I'm this far into my career and don't know this. Any help is much appreciated.

In brief domestic work is only notifiable if it involves a brand new circuit, CU change, or work in a special location (bathroom)
You can do quite a lot of jobs without needing to notify.
The options for notifying the other jobs are joining a scheme (will PM you later about that) or finding someone local who can do third party notifications for you.
You are well qualified- get public liability insurance and go for it!

In brief domestic work is only notifiable if it involves a brand new circuit, CU change, or work in a special location (bathroom)
You can do quite a lot of jobs without needing to notify.
The options for notifying the other jobs are joining a scheme (will PM you later about that) or finding someone local who can do third party notifications for you.
You are well qualified- get public liability insurance and go for it!
Thank you for the information it is much appreciated.

as above. smaller jobs are not notifiable. download part p from planning portal for a detailed list. and remember part p is a building regulation, not a qualification so don't let anyone persuade you to take a course in it for £££££££s' , (pm sent).

one thing to get right is pricing. bear in mind that you will average 40 weeks a year earning, so base your weekly wage requirements on annual wage/40. then add overheads which will be around £100 -£150 for a 1 man concern. from that you can estimate a day/hourly rate. for London this should be around £60 + per hour minimum. dustydazz ids better to advise on rates as he's down there.

one thing to get right is pricing. bear in mind that you will average 40 weeks a year earning, so base your weekly wage requirements on annual wage/40. then add overheads which will be around £100 -£150 for a 1 man concern. from that you can estimate a day/hourly rate. for London this should be around £60 + per hour minimum. dustydazz ids better to advise on rates as he's down there.

most London based sparks that I know are in the £90ph ball park if you are talking hourly rate for small jobs that you haven’t surveyed / emergency call outs etc

if it’s all planned jobs, booked in advance and you know exactly what you are getting yourself into as in you have survey the existing installation then £65ph would be a very competitive rate and get you plenty of work

My own rule-of-thumb is you need to charge about double what you need to earn to allow for times you don't have work/can't fit it in, overheads like scheme and insurance costs and equipment calibration, etc, and for the risk of non-payment.

So assuming you want a pre-tax income of £40k/year, for around 235 working days in a year that is £170/day so you should be starting at around £340/day or about £68/hour assuming 5 hours/day is practical allowing for transport, etc.

For London add a bit more!

I cant comment of part P but be prepared to be constantly buying van stock. It’s important to have all the little parts that mean you dont need an impromptu trip to the wholesalers which can really ruin a day. As for pricing dont be shy and remind customers what you are offering, professionalism, reliability and a warranty.
All the best with it!

As much as I hate Facebook, for local work it seems to be at least one way to get known.

Also worth getting some cards printed so you can drop some off at estate agents, etc, who might be frequently looking for tradesmen.

most London based sparks that I know are in the £90ph ball park if you are talking hourly rate for small jobs that you haven’t surveyed / emergency call outs etc

if it’s all planned jobs, booked in advance and you know exactly what you are getting yourself into as in you have survey the existing installation then £65ph would be a very competitive rate and get you plenty of work
I am moving into my brothers back room in Croydon for £65-£95 ph! its grim up north....

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I am losing the will to live and would very much appreciate any help anyone can give.
I am a qualified electrician who has undertaken a full apprenticeship. I will list my qualifications a little later on in the post.
I have Worked my entire working career in the electrical industry working for a company that mainly works in commercial and light industrial installations. I have recently been furloughed and am trying to make a go of starting my own company but starting as a sole trader trying to get local work which I understand will mainly be domestic which I have a fair knowledge of.

Everywhere I look most domestic work is notifiable under part P which is causing me an issue as I haven't got a clue how you go about notifying the notifiable work. Sadly even though completing an apprenticeship this isn't something you are taught.
I would Join the NICEIC or NAPIT but at this moment in time its not viable as I'm not sure with the amount of competition in the area if there will be enough work to cover the cost.

The Following are my qualifications:
JIB Gold Card Holder - Completed AM2
NVQ Level 3 Diploma installing Electrotechnical Systems and equipment (BSE)
BS7671:2018 Wiring regulations
City and Guilds 2391-50 Initial verification of electrical installations
City and Guilds 2391-51 Periodic inspection and testing of electrical installations

I am really struggling with all the different conflicting information and as someone who has gone through a 4 year aprentiship cant believe I'm this far into my career and don't know this. Any help is much appreciated.
Best of luck, i got paid off from oil and gas and went Ltd company 13 months ago. its really stressful and tiresome at times its harder work than being on the books but once you get a stream work its rewarding.

Reply to A little help starting my own company in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net