Discuss A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am bringing this drawing back into the discussion just to ask one last question.
In the drawing there are twelve (12) buckets on the right side. Just for discussion each bucket has a lifting force of 100-foot pounds. 12 buckets times 100 = 1200-foot pounds of lifting force.
1200-foot pounds of lifting force can produce more energy at any one moment in time than 100-foot pounds;
Once all the buckets are full and this machine is running, the process continues to produce 1200-foot pounds of force if you continue to fill one (1) bucket at the bottom in sequence with the rest.
YES or NO?

A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not SEAPOWERx - EletriciansForums.net

no.

The buckets are sitting in water. Any water “in” a bucket will be held up by the water below it.

Nothing will happen

What gives it motion?....12 buckets full of water in water will weigh nothing effectively.......or have I missed something?

What gives it motion?....12 buckets full of water in water will weigh nothing effectively.......or have I missed something?
I think the system is that the inverted buckets are filled with air at the base of the conveyor, hence getting the thing in motion.
He can rest assured though, that it will require more energy to pump air down to the bottom than he'll extract from the system.
Just another perp-motion nonsense.

Got more chance with time travel than perpetual motion me thinks :)

I love people trying. And hope one day somebody clocks it. But brainier people than us discovered the laws of physics that prevent it. And only brainier people than us will find a way to beat the laws.

(Worth noting some laws have been disproved now - but not theory or relativity just yet)

I'll try to tackle this with some math, just to amuse myself.

I had originally assumed that ft.lb was a unit of power, but a quick google shows that it is actually an energy, with ft.lb/s being the power unit. The buoyant force of each bucket will marginally decrease as it rises, as a function of the surrounding water density, but this can be effectively disregarded as trivial.

Be that as it may, let us assume that each bucket can provide a total of 100ft.lb of energy as it rises from the bottom of the cycle. Over each 'interval' of machine time, this being the time between each bucket passing a set point, you can only extract 100ft.lb of energy, this being the difference in potential buoyant force given by raising N buckets 1/N of the way from bottom to top. Let us assume that one bucket passes the top each second, your total extractable power will thus be 100ft.lb/s, and not one erg more. Thus is exposed your first mathematical error, that you can extract the full stored energy of the system over and over again.

You will find, should you calculate the power and energy needed to compress and force enough air to fill a bucket from sea level to the bottom of the machine, that it will be greater than 100ft.lb and will thus require more than 100ft.lb/s to fill a bucket as it passes the bottom. And the bucket MUST be fully filled at the lowest point, any delay in filling only reduces the total energy that can be provided by it then rising to the top, in direct ratio to the delay in filling with air.

Needless to say, all this assumes that your machine has no bearing losses, drag losses through the water, power extraction losses, compressor losses, heat loss, leaks, etc, etc, etc...

So, no, you cannot fill buckets under water with air and let them pull your machine along, the idea is even less feasible than pumping water up to buckets which then fall down and pull a chain to provide power. The latter at least can be used to store energy, though a hydro station using one bucket of water per second would be rather on the small side (excepting certain very large definitions of 'one bucket').

Reactions: DPG
..., The buoyant force of each bucket will marginally decrease as it rises

You are 180 degrees wong. As the balloons of air rise they will expand; increasing the lifting force.

Please stay on this topic; I need you :)-
[automerge]1567206463[/automerge]
you can only extract 100ft.lb of energy, this being the difference in potential buoyant force given by raising N buckets 1/N of the way from bottom to top. Let us assume that one bucket passes the top each second

Bubbles in water+/-salt water
The air bubble will expand as the bubble rises
This is where the term "poof"{ came from :)-

Last edited:
You are 180 degrees wong. As the balloons of air rise they will expand; increasing the lifting force.

Please stay on this topic; I need you :)-
[automerge]1567206463[/automerge]

Bubbles in water+/-salt water
The air bubble will expand as the bubble rises
This is where the term "poof"{ came from :)-

The bubble expands, but doesn't contain any more air, it is just less compressed.

Reactions: DPG
I humoured your delusions once only.
Come up with some serious explanation (with actual mathematics) as to how your proposal would work or be blocked and ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A new energy source-maybe--maybe-not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock