Discuss A newbie basic (and probably stupid) question! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Banosprof

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I'm completely new to solar but am getting a system for my house with solar panels, an inverter and battery and, of course, will still have a mains supply from the grid. I aim to provide my electricity needs as much as possible from the solar and from the battery (charged from the solar or from the mains grid at times of low nightlife rate). One simple question : what is it that determines that the house draws its electricity from the solar or battery rather that the mains supply? I have seen no mention of a big switch being installed at the supply to the house that selects "Mains supply" or "Solar or battery", controlled by a user app, say. Could you please explain how the switching control and selection happens between the mains and the alternatives (and, come to that, also the selection of solar or battery within the alternative sources). Thanks.

No such thing as a stupid question…. Just stupid answers…

Magic. …. That’s what does it… magic!

As far as solar inverters go, and I assume the battery is the same idea, is that it measures the voltage coming from the mains, and outputs the PV generated voltage a couple of volts higher…

The nature of electricity, the house will use the higher voltage

Thanks very much for the helpful reply. So the inverter manages it all, using the laws of physics to its advantage! That's great.

I believe so.
I’m not an installer, but I’ve had panels fitted on my own roof.

Reply to A newbie basic (and probably stupid) question! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net