Discuss A short video on why following proceedures matter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I hate how safety videos are always aimed at morons.
Then again, it's probably morons that cause the problems.
Then again, what's the likelihood of everyone who works at a distribution maintenance company being a moron all at the same time ?
Then again, I've never worked at one. Anyone got any inside info ?

Then again, what's the likelihood of everyone who works at a distribution maintenance company being a moron all at the same time ?
Then again, I've never worked at one. Anyone got any inside info
its the guy who is the permit holder calls the shots
for shutting down and energising.

It is a very sad watch indeed.
Showing my ignorance here but how is it possible that the fuse was replaced as it was in this video? I didn't understand that bit as I don't know about the procedures that are put in place for such companies. Surely these procedures should be fail safe? Who was actually at fault?

Once one of you more informed people give me the answer to that I am going to watch the video again and try and understand how it went wrong.

Thanks.

It is a very sad watch indeed.
Showing my ignorance here but how is it possible that the fuse was replaced as it was in this video? I didn't understand that bit as I don't know about the procedures that are put in place for such companies. Surely these procedures should be fail safe? Who was actually at fault?

Once one of you more informed people give me the answer to that I am going to watch the video again and try and understand how it went wrong.

Thanks.
It was a Catalog of failures many people were at fault; the guy working neglected to use PPE and properly lock off the supply the operator at control failed to do any sort of handover the workers replacing the fuse assumed overload instead of properly investigating the management should have also been more involved...
Then again, I've never worked at one. Anyone got any inside info ?
I’ve never worked with a DNO and would never want to I’ve met some right bangers who work with them, so I could imagine that in the right or perhaps the wrong set of circumstances all the morons could be sent out to the same jobs right enough I’ve met some sound knowledgeable people as well but unfortunately they seem to be few and far between in the DNOs well the ones up here anyways...

The points I picked up from the video are....

1) if the boss phones you on your dinner...don’t answer it!
2) always test and prove dead.
3) tell members of the public to “b*gger off and let’s us get on with it!”
3)remove fuse and take it with you, so some daft a*se doesn’t stick it back in!
4) wear PPE that is provided

Joking aside, it would seem there was several faults here...(as I have interpreted them)
A lack of communication at the call center/switchboard (or whatever they call it) as the men working on the pole should have been told not to replace the fuse as they were others working on the cable further along. But in my job I would either lock off or physically take the fuse carrier with me. Not sure how the utility network operates in that situation, where the fuse could be several hundred metres away?

The operatives also displayed complacency in regards to procedures and use of PPE.
Again is there a requirement to test for voltage throughout the job, ie test at the start and test say in 30mins incase the power has unexpectedly been put on?

The points I picked up from the video are....

1) if the boss phones you on your dinner...don’t answer it!
2) always test and prove dead.
3) tell members of the public to “b*gger off and let’s us get on with it!”
3)remove fuse and take it with you, so some daft a*se doesn’t stick it back in!
4) wear PPE that is provided

Joking aside, it would seem there was several faults here...(as I have interpreted them)
A lack of communication at the call center/switchboard (or whatever they call it) as the men working on the pole should have been told not to replace the fuse as they were others working on the cable further along. But in my job I would either lock off or physically take the fuse carrier with me. Not sure how the utility network operates in that situation, where the fuse could be several hundred metres away?

The operatives also displayed complacency in regards to procedures and use of PPE.
Again is there a requirement to test for voltage throughout the job, ie test at the start and test say in 30mins incase the power has unexpectedly been put on?
Number 1 has to be the best

Maybe there should be a constant dead/live monitoring tool with a siren if it goes live. Even a fecking non touch voltage pen strapped to the cable would do it! Frankly even if I KNOW it's dead I still keep testing before I get up and close with any bare wire. I so often hear customers say "I'm scared of electricily" I always reply "So am I" which causes surprise but it shouldn't. You need to be.

I can't watch people getting hurt (soft, another story) so I didn't get passed first dzzzt. Apologies if it's made clear later, but what gave him confidence - beyond the moment of his test - that it wasn't going to go back live? (Since it's a bleepin network of supply cables).

Maybe there should be a constant dead/live monitoring tool with a siren if it goes live. Even a fecking non touch voltage pen strapped to the cable would do it! Frankly even if I KNOW it's dead I still keep testing before I get up and clos with any bare wire. I so often hear customers say "I'm scared of electricily" I always reply "So am I" which causes surprise but it shouldn't. You need to bee.
Yes it needs to have the respect it deserves.

On the railways they physically apply two separate blue earth cables between the ohle and earth at each end of the isolation, and at designated points between the two they also apply a cable. Same goes for third rail systems, the procedure is extremely tight because one person is taking everyone else's life in their hands.

Watched it now, glad it's just a dramatic. My thought, moron is a relative term and the whole point is this is a training video to make you feel like you'd be a moron not to check everything carefully. This is the same health and safety that the daily mail and others think has gone mad. Ive seen many stories on here of people working on circuits and getting shocks when someone else reenergised the circuit. So complacency can happen to anyone.

Maybe there should be a constant dead/live monitoring tool with a siren if it goes live. Even a fecking non touch voltage pen strapped to the cable would do it! Frankly even if I KNOW it's dead I still keep testing before I get up and close with any bare wire. I so often hear customers say "I'm scared of electricily" I always reply "So am I" which causes surprise but it shouldn't. You need to be.
I wouldn’t say scared but definitely respect it even if I know it’s dead I don’t like to touch the bare ends of a cable with a bit of caution and common sense everything will be fine I remember having to change a single socket over live in a shop (it was a ring) (we couldn’t find any way to isolate it (turned off the whole block of shops still was live)and the socket was smashed to bits) while I was still an apprentice don’t think I ever shat myself so much and that’s definitely where I learned to have respect for electricity I’ve done lots of live work and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again but the main thing is keep your head screwed on make sure you’ve got a plan/method statement in place and follow it to the letter then everything should be good.

Saying they are morons is probably a bit unfair and not the point of the video. An accident is, after all, an unseen and unplanned event which, by definition, could happen to anyone.

As an example.

When planes crash and we see the catalogue of errors that cumulatively led up to it, it’s easy with 20/20 hindsight to say abc...xyz should have been done. But it wasn’t. Pilots aren’t exactly morons.

Agree - sometimes they get info overload and just forget to fly the plane. In the video's case where the boss gives him stick to hurry up - I would have downed tools and called @elsparko over to chat with him :mad: .

Agree - sometimes they get info overload and just forget to fly the plane. In the video's case where the boss gives him stick to hurry up - I would have downed tools and called @elsparko over to chat with him :mad: .
tell him to get in the hole himself if he can do it faster , if the customers home isnt on fire its not an emergency

if someone is obviously struggling with something and its time sensitive, then step in, otherwise train them on jobs not time sensitive

wouldnt take a trainee on a commercial site to show them inspection and testing procedures for example, show them on a job where time can be taken to explain fully and not miss bits of info rushing about

Reply to A short video on why following proceedures matter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock