Discuss Accenta alarms (explain keyswitch and set to an idiot)... in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
So I have two alarm panels (garage and home):
Accenta 6 - has keyswitch and set terminals
Accenta Optima G3 - zones can be configured to keyswitch or 'push to set',

Could someone explain them in plain english and how they would be used practially?

Many thanks

Info attached:
Accenta 6 info:
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/HjvSkvP.jpg

Accenta Optima G3 info:
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/k4i60VM.jpg
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/VIqffFz.jpg
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/QHIW6al.jpg

Hi again Wilko!

Yes I have had a read, I originally programmed it myself (and fitted it). But I never have used these features.

Referring to the G3:
The manual says each zone can be set to disabled/security/fire/24hr fire/PTS or Keyswitch.

I think to use PTS, you set the exit mode to "terminated set". Then you put the code in the keypad and once outside the building you press a button, which sets the alarm. Is that correct?

In the manual there are Flag A and Flag B options, not sure if they are part of the communicator (not fitted to G3 optima panels).

Does the keyswitch just turn the alarm on and off, by turning a key?

Thanks for any info..

Update - can't edit above post unfortunately.

Basically my questions are:

I think to use PTS, you set the exit mode to "terminated set". Then you put the code in the keypad and once outside the building you press a button (such as a doorbell), which sets the alarm. Is that correct?

Regarding the keyswitch terminals, you just turn a key to set/un-set the system?

Any finally the set terminal goes 12V when set and oV when unset? It says to be used with latching type detectors, what is the reason for this?

Thanks for any info..

The keyswitch zone will set and unset programme one without using a code, you would need a boxed keyswitch with a tamper switch in order for it to work securely, or a shunt lock (normally a Chubb lock fitted with an internal microswitch)
The push to set is used to terminate the exit time once outside the premises instead of waiting for the exit sound to stop at the end of the timer.
The set terminal is used on detectors such as vibration sensors, it will freeze the led on the sensor so that the first to alarm can be identified if multiple detectors are fitted on one zone (not ideal in my opinion)
If you need to connect more than one device to a zone, then buy a better panel with more zones...its cheaper in the long run if you have problems in the future.

@Retrosparks thank you very much. That is exactly the info I was after.

Long term I will be changing the alarm panel for "smart" panel such as Texecom I think.

In the meantime I want to retrofit an Arduino to each alarm panel. It will notify me via Blynk app that the alarm has gone off .

The 12V relay would be connected to suitable terminals, hence the interest in 'set' terminal. I was originally thinking of using permanent 12V and strobe- terminal to activate the relay.

Also, I could wire relay contacts across key switch terminals, so I can set/unset the alarm from my phone. It would be useful if I have forgot to set alarm/or alarm goes off in the night.

Any ideas/suggestion are welcome!

On the G3 panel wire your relay off the INT communicator terminal, that will prevent sending a signal if the strobe is tested. The keyswitch input would work with a relay output triggered by the app.

On the G3 panel wire your relay off the INT communicator terminal, that will prevent sending a signal if the strobe is tested. The keyswitch input would work with a relay output triggered by the app.

Thanks for the excellent tip!

For some reason I thought my panel didn't have the communicator terminals (I checked just, it does).

I just read in the manual:
"INT The intruder output is operated when an intruder condition is triggered whilst the system is set." Which will work perfectly!

What would you recommend for the older Accenta 8 which has no communicator?

Apologies I was unclear, I meant which terminals on the Accenta 8 would be best to activate a 12V relay?

Although that dialer looks a good alternative.

Many thanks for the help!

"push to set" is where yo configure a zone to set the system when the button is pressed, thus setting the system rather than letting it time out. this zone has a push button external to the building instead of a detector.

@telectrix thanks!

@Retrosparks can I trouble you a little more?

I took some voltage readings today, and some were unexpected, I hope the attached image is clear enough. All readings are in respect to the panel negative (-) terminal.

The top values are when activating the strobe and bell via engineer mode.
The bottom values are normal running mode.

19 is the 12V supply to the strobe
20 is the trigger pulled to 0V to activate the strobe

D is the 12V supply to the bell
B is the trigger pulled to 0V to activate the bell

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/oxpWPaW.jpg

In normal running I expected the terminals 20 and B to be around 14V, they are in fact 5V. When the strobe or bell are activated they drop to close to 0V.

I was originally thinking I would need a 12V relay, looking at this now I would think a 5V relay across B and - would work (to indicate activation of the bell to my Arduino).

Is this correct?

Many thanks!

PS - as we talked about previously, the 'set' terminal is 14V when armed and 0V when unarmed.

Last edited:
Update: if there is any way a 12V relay could be activated when the bell goes off, it would be preferred (for ease of wiring).

Thanks

So I have two alarm panels (garage and home):
Accenta 6 - has keyswitch and set terminals
Accenta Optima G3 - zones can be configured to keyswitch or 'push to set',

Could someone explain them in plain english and how they would be used practially?

Many thanks

Info attached:
Accenta 6 info:
HjvSkvP.jpg

Accenta Optima G3 info:
k4i60VM.jpg

VIqffFz.jpg

QHIW6al.jpg
Hi, bit of a late one but did you get this all working. I'm looking at doing a similar thing but my G4 doesn't have a key switch. Any help would be greatly received

Reply to Accenta alarms (explain keyswitch and set to an idiot)... in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net