Discuss Add GFCI outlet off single pole switch (source from light) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mindyhere

DIY
Reaction score
Greetings! I've got a single 12/2 wire coming into an outlet box that is connected to a single pole light switch used to control a vanity light. The light is the source in this setup, which I understand is turned on and off due to the interruption of the current via the switch. I'd like to add a GFCI outlet to this, but not sure how to do this since the source is coming from the light, and not sure if it's possible? I'm fine with the outlet's supply being controlled by the switch as well if that's all that's possible with this setup. The GFCI outlet is a Hubbell commercial self test 15A.

1584821285771.png

I'm not finding info out on the web regarding this and hoping that it's not because it's not doable (correctly of course.) Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

You can't with the present set-up as you have no neutral at the switch. Both wires are hots.

You can't with the present set-up as you have no neutral at the switch. Both wires are hots.

I was afraid this is what the answer would be. Would the best solution be to run a new source for the outlet, or would a double pole switch work?

Thanks for your reply!

Reply to Add GFCI outlet off single pole switch (source from light) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I want to put downlights in my fire surround - possibly 3 but more likely going to be 2. They are 0.4w LED lights. I have a 12v 8w LED driver...
Replies
Views
DYI guy here with some basic knowledge of electrical craft. I am helping a buddy in his remodeled bathroom. His GFCI outlet was powered off vanity...
Replies
Views
I replaced a single pole to exterior lights with a smart switch. Next to it is a 3way to my foyer light. The foyer and the smart switch to...
Replies
Views
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, My hot tub keeps tripping after 12 years of use. I'm thinking it's the GFCI gone bad. Unfortunately it's a CH 2 pole 50 amp (GFTCB250) and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock