Discuss addditional sockets to old ring mains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leekemp85

I have got a loft conversion to do next week, when splitting the ring and adding lights do they need to be on rcd even though its only minor works, no new circuits.
Its a old wylex fuse board but they don't want to pay for new board

In a word, Yes
in stead of splitting the ring can you use an rcd fused spur to feed loft power?
so long as the addition is to new specs existing can stay as is if they are on a budget, check / upgrade bonding though.

Hello.

As in Lister's reply, you add extend the ring or add a unswitched spur to the ring which will feed any power and lighting you want. But make sure that all new cables you install meet current regs requirements - so if in doubt, make sure it is an RCD spur you install so that all new additional wiring is covered.
If it's an old style ring circuit, what type of cable is in use ?
Make sure water and gas bonding are up to scratch with regs.
But then you'll need to test circuit that you've added the extra bits too - a minor works certificate.

New regs make everything so much harder ( I only need to add two sockets and light to the old circuits), I am only an young electrician but I would bet any of you have not had any problems with your own work in the past whether it was 14th, 15th or 16th edition regs.
RCDs are a brilliant invention for long leads where there may be a higher risk. But in a standard extension were common sense should prevail ( ie, do not hammer a nail above a socket or switch)
common sense seems to have gone out of the window the the staff that wrote the 17th edition.

Sorry to go on but its frustrating when you price to do a job to regs, then a cowboy turns up and does it at half the price to the 1st edition works ok but wont pass any inspection and you could never find him/her when something goes wrong.

I don't even want to think anymore about the part P scheme surely there must be a better way. I know someone that did not finish his collage course but is now a "part P" electrician :mad:

anyway I am now in a good mood after posting that, if it makes sense I have been for a few beers:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to addditional sockets to old ring mains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock