Discuss Adding bypass switch to commercial parking lot lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I work in a facility with a lot of 3-phase parking lot lights. These lights are controlled by a number of photocells that close lighting contactors near the service panel. My problem is that these photocells are very difficult to access due to their location, so covering the photo cells to check the lighting is a pain. I would like to add a switch near the contactors to allow me to bypass the photo cell and energize the the contactor coil. Is this possible with a 3-way switch and does anyone have experience that can give me an idea on the circuit connections?

Should be easy enough to bypass, but shall wait for an American brain to help.
Perhaps something an Electrician should do as your talking about 3 phase here

Thanks, I'm thinking A1 of the coil to the common, and one traveler would be the load side of the P/E, and line voltage on the other traveler. Just want to confirm my thinking before contacting an electrician since there's a fair amount of leg work I will have to do in order to justify to my superiors.

i would be installing a secret key switch, same as an emergency light test switch but without the writing on it.

not a big job but i would get a local spark to do it, if you get it wrong, things can go bang spectacularly with 3 phase stuff, join the wrong live wires together and you will have an embarrassing pair of underpants to dispose of.

Reply to Adding bypass switch to commercial parking lot lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net