Discuss Adding can lights to existing unutilized switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ScottA

DIY
Reaction score
I have a question about a 4 line wire ( red, black, white, ground). My room was wired with two switches, one was supposed to work the fan, one the light. Our fan had a remote so they did not hook it up this way. This left the black wire (in the fan) empty. I’d like to add can lights to this room. Could that red wire (and split the neutral) be used to add the can lights and utilize that “extra” switch?

I have a question about a 4 line wire ( red, black, white, ground). My room was wired with two switches, one was supposed to work the fan, one the light. Our fan had a remote so they did not hook it up this way. This left the black wire (in the fan) empty. I’d like to add can lights to this room. Could that red wire (and split the neutral) be used to add the can lights and utilize that “extra” switch?
Scott if someone didn’t hook up your black wire on the fan then it can’t run. Take 1 switch and wire it to the black wire on the fan and and take the second switch and wire it to the blue wire in the fan then your fan will be on 1 switch and your light will be on it’s own switch

Scott if someone didn’t hook up your black wire on the fan then it can’t run. Take 1 switch and wire it to the black wire on the fan and and take the second switch and wire it to the blue wire in the fan then your fan will be on 1 switch and your light will be on it’s own switch

thanks, I was more wondering if I could utilize that switch and black wire, and tie to the neutral and add can lights

your final answer of "yes" is true.
Now I will add on to that correct answer.
The hot comes into the room, gets split by a switch. then on to the light.
therefore when you move the switch up or down, the light goes off or on.

Now that light, lets say, has another light right next to it. So now we start over.

the hot comes into the room, and feeds two switches. From each switch, they feed each light.Well to do that, I use a cable that has two wires going to the two lights.. One is red, and the other is black, because thats what the cable came with, built in.

Now lets start over again. But instead of two lights, we will make it a SUPER light, that has both lights within it.

Still, I want to switch one, and the other. Because I dont want it to be mega bright like that.

Well that "super light" is your ceiling fan. One wire went to a literal light, and the other went to a fan.

Well now I want to take down the fan, but leave my two wires for two lights.

One wire, I take and use it for some can lights... and the other one, I want to control a disco ball light!

there you have it.

well what about the neutral? that white wire..

Well the white wire, has zero to do with any of this. It has to be sitting up there at any light you have, waiting for you to add a "hot" wire that you brought up from a switch. (once you take a hot, and bring it to a switch, and emerge again, that wire heading up to the light is no longer called a "hot". its called a "switchleg)

If its passing through any box that has a switch, who cares, it will just bypass everything and head on up to the light, waiting for you to marry it with the light and the "switchleg"

I said all this so if things go crazy, or if you wanna do new things, yiou can use this.

Reply to Adding can lights to existing unutilized switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock