Discuss Adding extra chime to mains wired doorbell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I have a mains wired doorbell with the chime in the hallway. Parents are elderly and dont hear the bell all the time. I want to run two wires from the hallway chime into living room and add another chime there. Does the new chime need to have built in transformer does it not require it?
Current set up is a transformer by the fusebox and the chime has one wire to it and another to the push button. One wire from the push button the transformer to complete circuit.

One transformer for two chimes

But

I have found that many bell transformers don’t have enough output for two bells. So, you may find that you need to replace the tranny. Try it and see if it works, but I too would go for a wireless jobby.

There are probably electronic chimes available that draw very little current to operate, which would probably overcome the possible transformer output problem.

Connecting two chimes with built in transformers to the same push is not a good idea. They would need to be connected so that booth transformers are phased together, and not one 180 degrees out from the other, and unless the voltages of the transformer secondaries are identical, there will be a constantly circulating current through the two chimes, which may make them buzz. you could probably solve this with a couple of blocking diodes, but then the chimes might not perform as intended.
You can connect two chimes in parallel with a transformer by the CU, as long as that transformer can supply sufficient power to supply your chosen two chimes.

You can connect two chimes in parallel with a transformer by the CU, as long as that transformer can supply sufficient power to supply your chosen two chimes.

Thanks. So just buy a normal chime like i got already without a transformer built in. Wire it from the current chime. As long as transformer i got currently has sufficient power. Ill check it tonight and advise what power it has.

Yes, but as I suggested in an earlier post, I suspect that there are electronic chimes available that use a lot less power than a conventional one with a solenoid slug hitting a tuned piece of metal.

Thanks. So just buy a normal chime like i got already without a transformer built in. Wire it from the current chime. As long as transformer i got currently has sufficient power. Ill check it tonight and advise what power it has.
Most standard bell transformers are rated at around 1amp. Enough for one bell. Adding a second bell may be too much.
And the length of the wiring has an effect too. But see how you get on. Be prepared to have to buy a bigger transformer.

Quite honestly you’d be better off ditching the plan to extend the existing bell. Get a wireless one with two (or more) soundest. It will probably be cheaper and easier.

Any recommendations?
Range topper
Middle of the road
Budget
I can only recommend one I have experience with and use.
The Lloytron doorbells use their MIPS system, so you can buy the basic push button + sounder and then add more sounders and bell pushes.

Mine works well. Has a good range. Note that wireless operation can be affected by some building structures, but they work well in standard type houses.

Lloytron B7505BK 32-Melody Mains Plug-In Wireless Door Chime with MiPs - Black Lloytron B7505BK 32-Melody Mains Plug-In Wireless Door Chime with MiPs - Black : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://amzn.eu/d/fjfPM6c

Reply to Adding extra chime to mains wired doorbell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock