Discuss Adding extra double socket to garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, been reading for a while but never posted. Just after a bit of advice to check what I intend to do meets with current regulations.

I'm looking to add one extra Double Socket to my garage in my new build home.

The set up is as follows: garage detached from house so armoured cable from the back of the house underground into Consumer Unit in garage containing 4 breakers. One for the light and one for the Double socket installed. For this socket, a single Twin / earth wire comes directly from the back of the circuit breaker into the double socket.

My question is - Is it acceptable to take a spur off of this set up for another double socket? I'm aware its allowable to take spurs on ring/ radial circuits as long as it is only one spur per socket but this set up I've found has thrown me a little bit. I've attached pictures of the set up for reference.

image3.JPG image1.JPG

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

(Please note - I'd be looking to do this properly and run the 2.5mm2 cable straight up from the existing socket and along the rafters and straight back down to the additional location, all in 20mm plastic conduit. )

Yes as long as the cable is suitably rated as it is only a 16A radial circuit. I see there is no rcd protection at that board and if the supply cable is swa it doesn't look like it is glanded to the enclosure.

If it's a new build the garage supply is probably bodged off a socket in the property.

Looks like they've mounted the power to a bit of flooring off-cut glued to the wall.

Also looks like the IP rating is compromised on top of the DB and a cover screw is missing.

As Westward10 has asked, you would need to confirm the presence of RCD protection for the circuit.

Hi Guys, been reading for a while but never posted. Just after a bit of advice to check what I intend to do meets with current regulations.

I'm looking to add one extra Double Socket to my garage in my new build home.

The set up is as follows: garage detached from house so armoured cable from the back of the house underground into Consumer Unit in garage containing 4 breakers. One for the light and one for the Double socket installed. For this socket, a single Twin / earth wire comes directly from the back of the circuit breaker into the double socket.

My question is - Is it acceptable to take a spur off of this set up for another double socket? I'm aware its allowable to take spurs on ring/ radial circuits as long as it is only one spur per socket but this set up I've found has thrown me a little bit. I've attached pictures of the set up for reference.

View attachment 39479 View attachment 39480

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

(Please note - I'd be looking to do this properly and run the 2.5mm2 cable straight up from the existing socket and along the rafters and straight back down to the additional location, all in 20mm plastic conduit. )
That's not 4 breakers, it's 2 plus a DP mainswitch

if it was installed by the builders own electrical contractors then always expect the unexpected as the level of poor workmanship on new builds never ceases to amaze me. bad for the buyer but goods for electricians to earn a wage putting things right

Does the SWA cable have RCD protection back at the house?

IMG_5646.JPG G
If it's a new build the garage supply is probably bodged off a socket in the property.

Looks like they've mounted the power to a bit of flooring off-cut glued to the wall.

Also looks like the IP rating is compromised on top of the DB and a cover screw is missing.

As Westward10 has asked, you would need to confirm the presence of RCD protection for the circuit.

Yeah they didn't do the prettiest job of mounting it. Photo doesn't show it but there is a rubber grommet in the top of the DB where the cables come out.

It is fed from the main board in the house which has RCD protection. I've attatched a photo of that.

I would have preferred the SWA not to be RCD protected.
Adding the extra double socket as you propose, should not be a problem.
This would not be a spur, it would be just making the circuit longer.

Yuk I hate seeing SWA done so poorly. Couldn't they be arsed to gland it off properly? Passing it through a grommet is not the right way of doing it, OP!

Yuk I hate seeing SWA done so poorly. Couldn't they be arsed to gland it off properly? Passing it through a grommet is not the right way of doing it, OP!
I think it is properly glanded / swaged when it enters the DB at the bottom. It's where the two twin/earths come out the top that I stated there is a grommet. Not the prettiest looking set up I know but they at least seem to have done it properly enough that the CB's actually isolate what they should and say they do.

I would have preferred the SWA not to be RCD protected.
Adding the extra double socket as you propose, should not be a problem.
This would not be a spur, it would be just making the circuit longer.
Thanks for the advice. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem but wanted to check with an expert. Like I said in my original post, I'll be using good stuff and running the cables in conduit in a safe routing.

I'm not a cowboy, just not an electrician. Would never want to do something myself if I didn't check first it was being done in the proper manner.

Yes as long as the cable is suitably rated as it is only a 16A radial circuit. I see there is no rcd protection at that board and if the supply cable is swa it doesn't look like it is glanded to the enclosure.
Yes, I would be using the same cable that was used to supply the existing socket - prysmian 6242y twin and earth 2.5mm2. Believe this is rated for 27A which should suit my needs.

At least it's got a grommet fitted, more than most have...

Reply to Adding extra double socket to garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net