Discuss Adding fused spur to ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bobbert

Hi Guys,

Need some points clarifying with regard to adding a fused spur outlet to an existing household ring.

The ring and in fact the whole house is not 17th - ie: no rcds at all.

If I'm extending the circuit to include a new spur outlet am I right in thinking that an rcd will be needed at cu as exisiting ring is buried in walls so I will need to bring circuit I am working on up to current regs???

Also, I am right in thinking that PIR will needed for ring circuit and MWC to cover addition to circuit or would this be EIC as I've changed the protective device?

Sorry if this all seems blatently obvious ... I'm new to all this and want to get it right as I'm looking to go NICEIC soon.

Thanks.

Hey.

Ideally yes you should fit an RCD/RCBO at the DB to protect the whole circuit.

If this is impractical you could install an RCD FCU adjacent to the socket you are spurring off to protect the work you are doing. Obviously any departures from BS 7671 should be noted on you test form

If you do install a new RCD/RCBO then yes an EIC is needed, but if you just go for the RCD FCU then a MW is fine.

Cheers.

Thanks Lenny.

The RCD FCU thing had crossed my mind but to me seems a bit like half a job.

If i did go down this route then do I need to PIR the ring im making the addition to?

Hi.

I'm a bit confused about what your asking, If I was doing a PIR it would be on the whole property not just the one circuit.

If you do only install an RCD FCU then all you would need to do is a minor works cert for the work you have done, as you have not installed a new circuit back to the DB.

Anything you see wrong with the existing installation should be noted in the comments on existing installation box and also the customer should be made aware. Any serious departures sahould be rectified before you do anything such as lack of earthing/bonding exposed parts etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lenny.

That's fine. I am getting myself confused ... soz about that.

What you've just said is what I would do so at least we are reading the same book here. I only asked about the PIR thing as I had a couple of people argue that I should PIR just the one circuit ?!??? :( This didn't make sense to me.

Thanks again. Great help!

...and thanks for the link jason. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Adding fused spur to ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock