Discuss Advice and your experience needed. please! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TonyLeigh

Hi, this is my situation:- I started a JTL apprenticeship with a company back in 2002 doing a C&G 2351. I was there for almost three years and had two weeks of block release left to complete my qualifications but the company went bust and everyone got made redundant. I told the college and they told me I couldnt finish the course so after 3 months looking for work I started with a telecomms firm run by my dads friend. I was there for a year and decided to get back into sparking. Ive spent the last ten years working self employed for various companies for varying lengths of time but as the wages havent been great have struggled saving to complete my qualifications. I spoke to NICEIC last week and they said I could do the 2382 and then the 2391 (I spent a year doing testing and inspecting for one firm) and then would be able to register with them as an electrician. Has anyone else had any experience like this? Has anyone gone on to become an electrician without the C&G electrical installation fully completed? I'm good at my job but just keep finding barriers in my way and at 28 am wondering whether to retrain before its too late or get stuck as an improver for the rest of my life.

Hi Tony if you are looking to become a Domestic Installer with the NICEIC i believe you will need the 2382 but as long as you can prove you are competent with the testing and inspection at your initial assessment you should fly through with your experince. If you are looking to be an approved contractor i am not so sure of the qualifications you need. I do however also know that NAPIT will take you on full scope if you can prove you are competent at their assessment.
Try phoning NAPIT and see what they say and good luck to you.

Reply to Advice and your experience needed. please! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net