Discuss Advice for downlights in the bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LCV

Hi,

My bathrooms are being renovated as part of a house renovation. I purchased LED adjustable downlights for them. The Electrician has fitted them in.
They are IP20. My husband said he thinks they should be higher as they are in the bathroom. One is above the bath and one close to the shower head.

Would the Electrician fit them if they were unsuitable? Would they pass building control?

They are adjustable downlights so they require a bigger hole than fixed downlights so not sure how they could be changed to fixed downlights that have a higher IP rating. They don't make adjustable downlights with a higher IP rating.

Grateful for any advice as I am not sure what to do. Thanks!

It depends if they are inside or outside of the 'zones'. If they are all in the ceiling and ceiling height is 2.25meters or higher then no IP rating is needed but I wouldn't consider it good practice to put one too close to a shower head with no water ingress protection at all. You can get adjustable downlighters with IP44 rating.

I think the ceiling height is less than 2.25m in Shower room so would that mean I need to change them all? If over, then just the one by the shower head needs to be changed?

In bathroom I suspect it is over 2.25m so again, just need to change the one above the bath. I believe these are 'inside' the zones.

Can you let me know the name of the manufacturer of the IP44 adjustable downlights? I googled and couldn't find any. I am currently using Aurora.

Thanks!

I think the ceiling height is less than 2.25m in Shower room so would that mean I need to change them all? If over, then just the one by the shower head needs to be changed?

In bathroom I suspect it is over 2.25m so again, just need to change the one above the bath. I believe these are 'inside' the zones.

Can you let me know the name of the manufacturer of the IP44 adjustable downlights? I googled and couldn't find any. I am currently using Aurora.

Thanks!

If you do a Google search for IP44 adjustable downlights, there are quite a few websites that offer protection of IP44. I even found some IP54/64/65 variations of the adjustable downlights. It's a matter of finding some that are going to match in style and colour that you currently have.

JCC do an adjustable version of their JCC 6 product - an excellent unit, but in the adjustable form not cheap.

Why do you think you want adjustable?

Thanks!

If you measure from inside the bottom of the shower tray to the ceiling - If over 2.25 Mtrs then the ones you have do meet current requirements, but as said I think it's poor practice as it's fairly easy to turn shower on with it pointing at the ceiling, if it's been moved for cleaning etc... I've fitted a fair few of the Light and extractor combined units and these are quite nice. I can't see much use for an adjustable one in a shower cubicle personally.

Same measurement applies for bath, measure inside bath tub to the ceiling - again if over 2.25 mtrs then the ones you currently have are technically fine.

I personally feel a lot happier fitting IP rated fittings in Bathrooms regardless of where they go because although it wouldn't be my problem, there is nothing stopping you installing a new bathroom in 6 months and changing the layout completely and you may end up having an unsafe situation regarding the lighting.

...as it's fairly easy to turn shower on with it pointing at the ceiling, if it's been moved for cleaning etc...

I think you may need to actually look at what you are doing when turning on the shower. Never done it yet. :)
I understand why items have IP rating but never understand how a shower can have a big slot in the bottom, where the water pipe comes in, and still be classed as IPX4.

I think you may need to actually look at what you are doing when turning on the shower. Never done it yet. :)
I understand why items have IP rating but never understand how a shower can have a big slot in the bottom, where the water pipe comes in, and still be classed as IPX4.

I'd be sure to look at it before turning it on but not sure the Mrs would.

know what you mean about showers - I feel the same about consumer units - enclosure must require a key or tool to access but come with blanks that you can pull out with your fingers and expose live terminal bars!

If you measure from inside the bottom of the shower tray to the ceiling - If over 2.25 Mtrs then the ones you have do meet current requirements, ...

Same measurement applies for bath, measure inside bath tub to the ceiling - again if over 2.25 mtrs ....

The regs say 2.25m from finished floor level or height of highest fixed shower outlet if higher. May not be logical, but that's not unusual.

IPX4 requires no damage from water gently splashed onto the enclosure from all directions. So if it's baffled internally and the water just falls out without affecting the works, then it'll comply.

JCC do an adjustable version of their JCC 6 product - an excellent unit, but in the adjustable form not cheap.

Why do you think you want adjustable?

I have literally just picked up some IP65 LED down lights that can tilt for a bathroom, not sure of any other brand that does this, they were £44 each.

I didn't get them from here, but its these ones:
Collingwood Halers H4FF60WHWWDIM Adjustable Dimmable IP65 Fire-rated LED Downlight White 3000K - John Cribb & Sons Ltd, UK Electrical Distributors, Dorset, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Somerset & the Isle of Wight.

Also, its not all about zones, its like a car, you can do 60mph in a 60 zone, but its not necessarily suitable in all conditions, so ok 2.25 may be outside the zone (just) but is it suitable for a bathroom... and the answer is no, it needs a better level of ingress protection.

Reply to Advice for downlights in the bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net