Discuss Advice for what is maybe a stupid question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

simlock

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, can i bury these wires in to the wall? or do i have to box them in instead thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_183542.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 61
As above, those cables should not be moved at all, they can be particularly dangerous if abused due to the enormous power behind them.

Your best plan is to think of boxing the lot in with some simple wooden arrangement, etc. But it must be accessible as the black box thing at the bottom is the cut-out where the main fuse for your property resides. Again, that should not be tampered with, but sometimes there is the need for it to be removed to isolate the supply for any work on the billing meter or the supply to your CU (consumer unit = fuse box).

Finally what is not obvious is the CU which I presume is just out of the photo and above the meter?

If it is an old rewireable fuse style you ought to think of replacing it, and be aware that modern replacements are significantly bulkier so if planning an overall box you should consider that future size use at this point in time.

Last edited:
It should be added that there are ways where the black conduit and red+black wires, along with the green/yellow earth in the square plastic trunking could be replaced with SWA cable and re-routed so potentially hidden flush with the wall, but that is a job for an experienced electrician and also needs coordination with the supply company as it involves altering the part of the installation in their jurisdiction.

It is absolutely NOT something for DIY work.

Can you provide a more detailed photo of the black conduit holding the red+black cables?

I'm asking as I can't see any (obvious) sign that is earthed, and it should be in case of any fault between the enclosed cables and it.

Reply to Advice for what is maybe a stupid question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net