Discuss Advice needed on wiring for a log cabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Me and my partner have recently decided to build a log cabin at the back of her mum's house.
The electrician that the company's working with, is planning on using a 316 swa as the main power cable, but I have concerns as the cabin will be used as a permanent dwelling for a while and we'll have to fit an electric shower.

Now I'm thinking, we'd need something that should be able to handle at least 20 kw power draw to be on the safe side.

I'm not an electrician but based on my limited knowledge we'd need something rated for at least 90 amps.
Please note the cable will be buried and around 25 - 30 meters in length.

I'm out of my depth here so advice and a second opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Also, they quoted us £720 for the wire itself which seems a bit steep?

Thank you!

90 amps? What are you planning on growing in there?

Confirm with your electrician how he has worked out the maximum demand. If then your still not satisfied get further quotes from other electricians.

Whos digging the hole? Whats the earthing system in the house? I take it will have electric heatong for the power ypu describe?

They're doing the digging and everything. I'm not sure about the earthing system, the house was built in the 70s.
Yes we're planning on going with electric heaters as gas would stretch our budget considerably.

Now I'm thinking, we'd need something that should be able to handle at least 20 kw power draw to be on the safe side.

I'm not an electrician but based on my limited knowledge we'd need something rated for at least 90 amps.
Please note the cable will be buried and around 25 - 30 meters in length.

If you need a supply that big then you'd better get in touch with the DNO and arrange to have a new connection brought in to feed this log cabin rather than try to run it from an existing supply.

How did you arrive at a demand of 20kW after diversity? Considering the average house will run quite happily on about 4kW that seems over the top!

If you need a supply that big then you'd better get in touch with the DNO and arrange to have a new connection brought in to feed this log cabin rather than try to run it from an existing supply.

How did you arrive at a demand of 20kW after diversity? Considering the average house will run quite happily on about 4kW that seems over the top!

I just roughly estimated the maximum demand with the heaters on during winter and shower running at full + appliances.
I'm not 100 % sure if that's how it works exactly that's why I'm asking if that particular cable would be adequate.
Thank you!

Cable should be about 250 at the absolute most. He might have included for rods in that orice and labout, wouldnt know without seeing the quote

The labour is part of a different quote but the rods are most likely included in that.
All in all it amounts to £3850 for everything including labour / switches / sockets / fuse board etc
Was surprised as I expected the electrical work to cost less than the plumbing.

I did tell them exactly what I wanted and they did design it based on that.
It's very convenient for us to go with them, as they can take care of the plumbing and everything as well.
They assured me the 16 mm is adequate for what we need, I just wanted another professional opinion on the matter as time is of the essence, although I know details are very limited.
I really appreciate your help, thank you

16mm is fine as regards current capacity, volt drop could be a factor though. your cable cost should be no more than £200.

Reply to Advice needed on wiring for a log cabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock