Discuss Advice needed on wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi James just to say no I do not need to brush up on how an RCD works but any electrician who takes pride in his work would not put the RCD upside down. I agree it still will work but not very nice to see. If anyone who worked for me were to install upside down any breaker his work mates would have ripped him a new one and there were a good few electricians.
As for the Board being plastic they are illegal to install now due to fire brigade recommendations. If anyone were to work on that board they would be required by regulations to use PUEWR as there guide and install a manufactured metal DB. As when there was fires these could and did put out Heavy black toxic smoke.
My personnel dealings with Proteus equipment has not been good and I personally would never recommend the brand to anyone, but again that is my opinion
I think you need to brush up on more than RCD's from your comments
I think if the people you work with read this post they would almost certainly to use your phrase "rip you a new one"
Yes LFB did force changes to BS7671 but as it is not a statutory instrument it is not illegal although it may be non compliant if you depart from it's guidance, with regard to CU's the non combustible e.g. metal seems to have been interpreted by many as it MUST be metal

It is one of my pet hates how illegal rather than non compliant is frequently used even before I did the 2391 course many years ago where it was drummed into us about the statutory and non statutory documents relating to electrical work it always annoyed me how the term illegal gets used when EAWR has not been breeched and only BS7671 applies

I think you need to brush up on more than RCD's from your comments
I think if the people you work with read this post they would almost certainly to use your phrase "rip you a new one"
Yes LFB did force changes to BS7671 but as it is not a statutory instrument it is not illegal although it may be non compliant if you depart from it's guidance, with regard to CU's the non combustible e.g. metal seems to have been interpreted by many as it MUST be metal

It is one of my pet hates how illegal rather than non compliant is frequently used even before I did the 2391 course many years ago where it was drummed into us about the statutory and non statutory documents relating to electrical work it always annoyed me how the term illegal gets used when EAWR has not been breeched and only BS7671 applies

Aside from the debate about plastic CUs, which could technically still be fitted, the member in question quoted regulations that weren't even relevant to the subject.

PUWER? I'm still waiting for a response about how they might be applied to the fixed wiring in a domestic installation.

Reply to Advice needed on wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net