Discuss Advice needed on wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As above, an EICR is recommended as there may be other problems but don't delay with this, get the reversed polarity rectified ASAP even if nothing else. Basically nothing in your house is fused against an earth fault because the fuses and MCBs are all now in the neutral, not the line. The fact that it was not spotted on installation means basically no testing was done, as it is a mandatory test on completion.

The fact that you have not experienced any problems is just down to luck, not an indication that this is not highly dangerous. A short-circuit in a small appliance e.g. if the flex on a table lamp gets damaged, is likely to cause a fireball as neither the plug fuse nor the circuit MCB will operate. Get it sorted tomorrow!

What a riot

The exisitng consumer unit appears to be a Proteus and the RCD has apprently failed (and been repalced)#

I would suggest a test and a new consumer unit as a minimum, very dodgy to leave as is.

I use Hager units as they have parts available for a long time

The existing consumer unit appears to be a Proteus and the RCD has apparently failed (and been replaced)#

I would suggest a test and a new consumer unit as a minimum, very dodgy to leave as is.
It is pretty rough.

At the very least they could call in to CEF and get Proteus replacements so they are the right-way for RCD and fit the busbar!
I use Hager units as they have parts available for a long time
Good choice.

Thanks for all your input, I'm gonna find a local electrician to check the whole installation as some of you have pointed out there could be other faults by looking the way the consumer unit was wired. It has been this way since I moved in to the property and no work has been done on it since. I would never have known there was a fault had it not been for the British gas guy that tested my sockets.

Thanks again and I wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year.

Solly
First as all have said your board is a disaster to start with. as for your mains tails from the meter whoever installed them made a mistake as the inner insulation does not go to the correct terminals but if you look at the meter the Live connections are on the outside of the four with Neutral being the middle two. They do not look as if they are wrong polarity but the wrong mains tail in the connectors. Your quickest and reliable way is to go to B&Q or Screwfix and buy a socket tester that tells you polarity is right or wrong. If wrong you need a qualified electrician to look at your installation ASAP. I am a qualified electrician retired who worked in industrial all my working life I do have my Test and Inspection C&G B.S.7371 and CompEX certification and would never allow anyone to leave an installation like yours. Your RCD is upside down therfore will not trip in the fault condition as your load is on the incomer and will not see the fault. Remember any work now carried out on your main board will have to meet regulations and your Proteus plastic board certainly does not.

Last edited:
Your RCD is upside down therfore will not trip in the fault condition as your load is on the incomer and will not see the fault.
I think you need to brush up on how an RCD works.
this statement is quite Simpley wrong.

Remember any work now carried out on your main board will have to meet regulations and your Proteus plastic board certainly does not.
the plastic board may or may not be suitable for the installation.
just because it is a plastic cover does not mean that it must be replaced in most circumstances.

however, many of the problems seen would easily be fixed by replacing the consumer unit for a modern one with the correct breakers inside.

I think you need to brush up on how an RCD works.
this statement is quite Simpley wrong.

the plastic board may or may not be suitable for the installation.
just because it is a plastic cover does not mean that it must be replaced in most circumstances.

however, many of the problems seen would easily be fixed by replacing the consumer unit for a modern one with the correct breakers inside.
Hi James just to say no I do not need to brush up on how an RCD works but any electrician who takes pride in his work would not put the RCD upside down. I agree it still will work but not very nice to see. If anyone who worked for me were to install upside down any breaker his work mates would have ripped him a new one and there were a good few electricians.
As for the Board being plastic they are illegal to install now due to fire brigade recommendations. If anyone were to work on that board they would be required by regulations to use PUEWR as there guide and install a manufactured metal DB. As when there was fires these could and did put out Heavy black toxic smoke.
My personnel dealings with Proteus equipment has not been good and I personally would never recommend the brand to anyone, but again that is my opinion

Hi James just to say no I do not need to brush up on how an RCD works but any electrician who takes pride in his work would not put the RCD upside down. I agree it still will work but not very nice to see. If anyone who worked for me were to install upside down any breaker his work mates would have ripped him a new one and there were a good few electricians.
As for the Board being plastic they are illegal to install now due to fire brigade recommendations. If anyone were to work on that board they would be required by regulations to use PUEWR as there guide and install a manufactured metal DB. As when there was fires these could and did put out Heavy black toxic smoke.
My personnel dealings with Proteus equipment has not been good and I personally would never recommend the brand to anyone, but again that is my opinion

Are you saying if someone does any work in a plastic consumer unit then they must change it to a metal one?

Are you saying if someone does any work in a plastic consumer unit then they must change it to a metal one?
if that's the case, then a read up of the regs.is a good idea, i said regs., not the napit joke book.
1645712959972.png

bugger mewhredid thatcomefrom. think i bin hacked by Russia Vulcan.

It is not illegal to install a new plastic CU per se.
A RCD will operate which ever way up it is installed, and there is no regulation to say that any wording on it must be the right way up. The contravention of a reg. is that the 'on' and 'off' positions are the wrong way around when compared to the other devices present.

To bring up to the latest standard depending on the work. If a new circuit you would need a test if the board is plastic it fails common sense on the PUWER
by that standard red/black cable would fail. as long as the plastic CU is compliantin other ways( IP rating/correct breakers and sound terminations. you can'tinsiston replacong itifyou are just adding a newcircuit./

To bring up to the latest standard depending on the work. If a new circuit you would need a test if the board is plastic it fails common sense on the PUWER

Can you please explain to me, an apprentice, exactly what bearing the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 have on an existing consumer unit within a domestic property? I'd really like to know as I'm stumped as to how these regulations might apply.

common sense says if it's not broke, don't fix it.

A RCD will operate which ever way up it is installed, and there is no regulation to say that any wording on it must be the right way up.
Though a few models will detonate when the test button is pressed if the supply and load connections are reversed! RCD fused connection units like doing that.

RCDs usually have the neutral feed to the test circuit on the 'in' side, and the live feed to the circuit from the 'out side, or vice versa.
I came across one once where the neutral fed through one way, and the live the other. I was rewarded with a large puff of smoke and a strong burning smell when I pushed the test button, as the series resistor disintegrated. That was the last time that the test button ever worked (and was probably the first).

People like you are the Bain of my life giving estate agents unsatisfactory certificates for a plastic db without any understanding or knowledge to interpret the regs

Glad you take pride in your installation works but you really need to brush up on the b*llsh*t your talking

Reply to Advice needed on wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net