Discuss Advice needed please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been doing alot of fuse-board upgrades recently and unless i find a potentially dangerous fault like open lives on a ring or neutral to earth fault on a circuit which will have to be sorted whatever.

I will put the following on the certificate:

The following observations were recorded and recommended remedial work listed:
1. Some metal light fittings not earthed (class 1) requires rectification.
2. High resistance readings on sockets (R1 + R2) tests - Check all connections on sockets.
Etc Etc

I am i doing the right thing because we are only responcible for the fuse-board change and all findings are noted and the client made aware and its up to them to pay extra for retification.

as for 1. in your post. if you find unearthed classI fittings, you should not energise that circuit unless they are either removed or earthed. you would be leaving a dangerous situation. at best it's a C2.

you can only advise on work done...

as long as your work is suitable you cant force any other works

as for metal fittings leave danger notice...!

Correct, Any broken rings found are noted and downgrade the fuse, your not responsible for other things if you are there to change a db only. Your findings should be followed up with a quote to sort any remedials..

I go round with my wander lead and any metal item with no continuity back to MET gets noted and i recommend it needs rectification as soon as possible if they dont go for the remedial work its up to them i have made them aware of the potential danger

Basically, if you know of any dangerous situations prior to changing the CU, then it's best to refuse to do the change unless the customer agrees to have them sorted as part of the job. It's hard to walk away from work, but sometimes the customer needs an ultimatum. Obviously, there will be things which only become apparent when carrying out full tests, but if you advise the customer at the start that xyz will need rectifying if found to be dangerous, then you will be in a much stronger position.
Don't be afraid to be the professional. Remember, it's your signature on the EIC, not theirs :)

Reply to Advice needed please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock