Discuss Advice needed to earthing POE radios Ethernet setup in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

scopio

-
Reaction score
Hi,
Apologise if this is not the right board to post about this subject and please be patient as I am not a qualified electrician.
I am extending internet access between two buildings about 30 meters apart via two Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-16 NanoBeam AC 5GHz 16dBi radios which I prefer them to be earthed to protect the equipment to which they will be connected to via cat6 shielded cable. The router, switch, APs', pcs' and photocopier are surge protected from a surge in the electrical circuit but not from a surge via the cat6 shielded cable from a lightning strike near by. I do understand that a direct lightning strike would fry everything and there is no protection from this. The radios are the preferred vehicle as an underground or catenary wire solution is impractical. In any case a catenary wire to carry the Ethernet cable between the two buildings would also require it to be grounded. Driving a ground spike into the ground is also impractical.
I intend to fit a Ubiquiti ETH-SP at each end of the setup on both buildings but I do not know if the surge protectors can be earthed to the existing earth block in the consumer units or to the banded domestic water pipes within the buildings. As I state above driving a dedicated ground spike is impractical.
The fitting of AC power sockets where necessary and the earthing would be carried out by a contracted qualified electrician while the Ethernet side of it I will carryout myself.
I just need to know how the ETH-SP surge protectors can be grounded so as to instruct the electrician your advised method.
See diagram attached.
Advice needed to earthing POE radios Ethernet setup Amended diagram after additional pc and surge protection - EletriciansForums.net

Great detail in you post and a useful drawing. Have you looked at the efficacy of the domestic type surge protectors? In my experience they don't seem to offer a lot of protection.

I'd also consider fitting the POE injectors (or anything powered) in the loft due to the risk of fire.

Hi Cbuk2k2,
Thanks for your reply.
I did ask in the Ubiquiti forum in the USA where one of their staff said that I did not need to fit ETH-SP as the radios have ESD protection within them, another poster said that and I quote "
Most of the damage caused by lightning not comes from a direct hit (a direct hit would vaporise the surge protector and everything behind it!), but mostly from induced current in long lines. Let’s say you have a 200ft long Ethernet cable in the attic – it would act as a big receiving antenna that would pick up lightning strike just like any other radio wave and send that induced voltage down to the equipment, both side of the wire, that is why it is a good idea to have surge protectors on both sides.
A multi-thousand AMP spike would easily pass the surge protector and melt everything and set the building alight too. It does not pay to cheap out when grounding Ethernet equipment." When I said I would like to fit the ETH-SP he replied "Having a common ground is important so if your common ground is up to your arear codes – you should use it. I don’t think the ETH-SP is actually doing anything with shielded twisted pair though I mean it should not use shielding as a path for voltage to escape.2 Which confused me which is why I am asking here as I just wanted to know if here in the UK there are any regulations that I need to adhere to. So I am still no wiser if fitting the surge protectors and more importantly where to connect the ground wire to.
The POE injectors can possibly be positioned elsewhere other than the loft.

I would take a risk based approach, how much is the gear worth your trying to protect? How much will the protection cost and how likely is it to actually protect the equipment in case of a fault.

If it's a £15'000 multi function copier I'd possibly put a decent quality surge protector on it. The £30 plug in jobs you show are imho garbage.

I'd also be sceptical about induced voltage in 6ft of Ethernet cable in a loft.

Why not just use a high gain antenna if it's only 30m rather than this active PoE you've selected?

Reply to Advice needed to earthing POE radios Ethernet setup in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock