• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Advice on a product - Kitchen lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Beefy

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently replacing the lighting in my kitchen. There really old.

Basically the existing lights are recessed E27 bulb holders so i've throw some modern LED bulbs (8.5w) into them. The problem i've got is the cut out is large (130mm) and none of the modern LED's seem to fit without cover plates which all seem to cost more than the light itself!

I've bought a few bits from these guys, mainly sockets and switches and they have a new product at a good price point for me.

Anyone have any experience? I'm expecting not and suggestions to mainstream brands but they would do the job, my lights are a bit badly placed to be optimal in the kitchen so the increase luminescence and angle would really help light up my kitchen. Last time i bought downlights i bought 4 of the Hybrid7's which i believe some may like some will hate. But for me at £7.99 with a consumer replaceable bulb and quick release cabling are ideal. However the new sparky i'm planning on using to fit the kitchen lights hate JCC and has advised against.

Any thoughts on the part in the link? Would i need some sort of connector box to go with it? Most i'd seen previously came with them fitted to cable into existing wiring easily...

look OK to me although i've not used them personally. you'll need something like these to connect the cables. they's called clickflow connectors:
Advice on a product - Kitchen lighting 1566316756645 - EletriciansForums.net

I'd suggest taking an old fitting to a wholesalers and asking them.

I've found LED lighting is very hit and miss even amongst reputable brands, most the comoonents come out of the same factories in China.

I'd feel more confident if i could just take a failed unit back and swap it, an easy enough job to do yourself if the sparky uses he connectors suggested above.

Hi guys,

I'm currently replacing the lighting in my kitchen. There really old.

Basically the existing lights are recessed E27 bulb holders so i've throw some modern LED bulbs (8.5w) into them. The problem i've got is the cut out is large (130mm) and none of the modern LED's seem to fit without cover plates which all seem to cost more than the light itself!

I've bought a few bits from these guys, mainly sockets and switches and they have a new product at a good price point for me.

Anyone have any experience? I'm expecting not and suggestions to mainstream brands but they would do the job, my lights are a bit badly placed to be optimal in the kitchen so the increase luminescence and angle would really help light up my kitchen. Last time i bought downlights i bought 4 of the Hybrid7's which i believe some may like some will hate. But for me at £7.99 with a consumer replaceable bulb and quick release cabling are ideal. However the new sparky i'm planning on using to fit the kitchen lights hate JCC and has advised against.

Any thoughts on the part in the link? Would i need some sort of connector box to go with it? Most i'd seen previously came with them fitted to cable into existing wiring easily...
Please get in touch with www.instyleled.co.uk they sponsor the forum and are elite in this field.

If I'm not mixing the lighting up here I'm sure it is what you're looking for.
[automerge]1566318206[/automerge]
@john watts isn't this your area?

I'd suggest taking an old fitting to a wholesalers and asking them.

I've found LED lighting is very hit and miss even amongst reputable brands, most the comoonents come out of the same factories in China.

I'd feel more confident if i could just take a failed unit back and swap it, an easy enough job to do yourself if the sparky uses he connectors suggested above.
I agree, we are suffering failures sometimes in bulk even among the most reputable or expensive brands.

I agree, we are suffering failures sometimes in bulk even among the most reputable or expensive brands.
The problem is they're pitching at a price point set by the cheapest no name imports.

I had to change 400 600x600 panels as some(10%) had started to discolour and some had dark spots. These were supplied by a reputable wholesaler who ponied up for the replacement and fitting. The replacements, a better quality, there words, are now 6 months later starting to get driver failures, 3 in the last month.

If these were self sourced the cost to us would have been huge, as is we are still earning.

Wholesalers have a purpose.

I would plug in the old holes and relocate the lighting to where you want it, presuming you have the space above the ceiling void and enough cable slack?
You could then get whatever recessed lights you want in any size and drill new holes to fit.
You could even add more to get your lighting right... and it would not cost too much..

Reply to Advice on a product - Kitchen lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back