Discuss Advice on how to calculate these 2 Questions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bear

-
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

How do i solve these two questions, Feel like am missing something simple. doing my head in lol.

I need to learn the calculation for them both, I am struggling to work it out.

Insulation resistance has been tested on five new lighting circuits in an existing large distribution warehouse. These circuits are supplied from a new single-phase, five-way DB.
Switching for each circuit is by 230 V contactors. Connection to each light is made using a
BS 1363 socket-outlet adjacent to the fitting.
The supply and installation form a 400 V three-phase TN-C-S system. The following test results were recorded.
What is the value of insulation resistance between Live and Earth for the new DB with all the lighting circuits connected?
1601990490573.png

a) 13 MΩ
b) 20 MΩ
c) 134 MΩ
d) 178 MΩ

Continuity of a ring final circuit has been tested as part of an initial verification of a new primary school. All the socket-outlets are connected directly to the ring.
The circuit loop length is 58 m long, wired in 4 mm2 live and 1.5 mm2 cpc flat profile cable. The circuit is protected by a 32 A BS EN 60898 Type B circuit breaker.
What is the expected measured value at each socket-outlet when the line and neutral conductors are correctly cross-connected?
a) 0.13 Ω
b) 0.16 Ω
c) 0.22 Ω
d) 0.49 Ω

You need to brush up on ohms law and
resistors in series and parallel calculations

If you are in training, there is a complete section of the forum, dedicated to people learning the trade.

I recommend you apply to join it.

Afternoon all,

How do i solve these two questions, Feel like am missing something simple. doing my head in lol.

I need to learn the calculation for them both, I am struggling to work it out.

Insulation resistance has been tested on five new lighting circuits in an existing large distribution warehouse. These circuits are supplied from a new single-phase, five-way DB.
Switching for each circuit is by 230 V contactors. Connection to each light is made using a
BS 1363 socket-outlet adjacent to the fitting.
The supply and installation form a 400 V three-phase TN-C-S system. The following test results were recorded.
What is the value of insulation resistance between Live and Earth for the new DB with all the lighting circuits connected?
View attachment 61232

a) 13 MΩ
b) 20 MΩ
c) 134 MΩ
d) 178 MΩ

Continuity of a ring final circuit has been tested as part of an initial verification of a new primary school. All the socket-outlets are connected directly to the ring.
The circuit loop length is 58 m long, wired in 4 mm2 live and 1.5 mm2 cpc flat profile cable. The circuit is protected by a 32 A BS EN 60898 Type B circuit breaker.
What is the expected measured value at each socket-outlet when the line and neutral conductors are correctly cross-connected?
a) 0.13 Ω
b) 0.16 Ω
c) 0.22 Ω
d) 0.49 Ω
You should be able to tell us how to calculate this this you're the Electrical engineer

2. From tables in BS7671, mOhms /m for 4 0mm and 1.5mm, calculate the values for 58m of each.
( R1 and R2), add the 2 together . divide by ? work it out.

Wow!! Never had a response like that before, Took me a day to find out what you all where talking about?

I am doing my 2391 - 52, I was a sparkie for 14 years but the credit crunch hit in 2010 so changed Jobs, now am back after almost 10 to 11 years and am struggling with it all.

Have you done the parallel resistance sum yet? What do you get?

post #5 sez you don't need to do any calculations. think about it.

Deleted. Apologies ,
[automerge]1602068769[/automerge]

No, but he needs to know how to do it.
why. it has to be <20Meg, so answer a) is the only possibility.

why. it has to be <20Meg, so answer a) is the only possibility.

My fault, I could have sworn there were two answers less than the lowest figure. Must have read it wrong. He still needs to know how to calculate parallel resistances though.

Reply to Advice on how to calculate these 2 Questions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net