Discuss Advice on how to get money your owed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm am owed the guts of €17000 at the moment..
Much of it I know I will get eventually but one builder just won't pay up..
He owes me €5000,He has stopped answering his phone and won't ring me back...
Thing is I rang the customer where I dont the work and she told me she had paid the builder in full last friday,but yet still the builder won't pay me..
I wouldn't mind but the same builder does nothing but give out about people who don't pay him
Any ideas on how to get the money I'm owed or has anyone similar experiences

you got to give him time to pay, 6 weeks should be enough, but in the meantime bomard him with letters and copy of invoice saying what he owes you. if he still doesnt pay, threaten him with the small claims court, if he doesnt pay then take him to court you can reclaim all costs plus interest, the courts will instruct him to pay (but you must keep copies of all letters and invoices plus write down times and dates of any phone calls) this is evidence. if he still doesnt pay, send in the bailiffs, its surprising what his missus will say to him when the bailiff knocks on the door, it worked for me he personally brought the cash round the same day and it was only for £300. hope that helps dave

take him to court for £70, failing that, as i was in same situation, take goods to the value of,i was owed £1000 ish, kept 24v makita plus various other stuff, they never challenged,caused bad feeling,wont work for them again,stupid really, should have just paid up £££. good luck however you go just remember the 11th commandment {dont get caught}if if it gets dirty???

I'd suggest hiring a large man named Guido. Buy him a black suit and a pair of dark sunglasses as his uniform. Call him your new collections agent. :D

No, seriously, this is a job for an attorney. I guess you fellas call them solicitors. In the US, we can also file a lein on the property we did the work in, so the person can't sell or use their property for collateral for a loan until we're paid off. I've also gone to builder's homes at night and just rang the doorbell. It's almost funny how they straighten out when you show up on their doorstep, particularly if their wife gets to overhear the conversation.

I'd suggest hiring a large man named Guido. Buy him a black suit and a pair of dark sunglasses as his uniform. Call him your new collections agent. :D

No, seriously, this is a job for an attorney. I guess you fellas call them solicitors. In the US, we can also file a lein on the property we did the work in, so the person can't sell or use their property for collateral for a loan until we're paid off. I've also gone to builder's homes at night and just rang the doorbell. It's almost funny how they straighten out when you show up on their doorstep, particularly if their wife gets to overhear the conversation.

Know someone in the uk did just that, went round at 3 in the morning and kept ringing the bell till someone answered. It worked !

sorry to hear about the debt. Never good. In the UK there is a fairly standard letter that can be downloaded, I guess from citizen advice type sites, that gives the debtee 2 weeks to pay. After hearing nothing for 4 weeks a claim can be submitted to the small claims court though this must be for less than 5K, per claim. if the debtee doesn't turn up to the hearing the judge will usually find in the claimants favour and they are free to seek a Mereva Injunction which freezes all of the debtees money; business accounts, mortgage chequing etc. The numbers may have changed but the process is I'm sure the same. I am not offering legal advice but memory of something that i was involved in 7 years ago. this happened in London, not Eire, so your rules may be different

I came up with a plan to get my money and it worked..Here's what I done

I was suppose to have sent a cert for a job I done for him into the Electricty Supply Board so they would come out and move a meter as the builder needed to knock a wall...
I never sent the cert as I was waiting for him to pay me but he thought I had sent it...
Basically I left a message on his mobile telling him I rang the supply company and suspended the cert and that it was no use him getting another electrician to send a new cert because as the job in question had its own unique job number the supply company would know it was the same job and they would suspend it too..

1 hour later his wife rings asking me for my bank details so she could lodge money into my account.....
I'm still not sending in the cert though! **** him I'm not doing any more work for him

Does anyone here have a factoring facility with there bank, were they send the invoices to the bank and they pay 75% instantly and then a further 22% or so upon them receiving payment, whilst keeping 3% for themselves. I am going to see my bank manager next week for further information on this but if anyone on here does it, I would be interested to know in a bit more detail what it's all about.

I have a major creditor who owes me approx £80,000, there a public sector company and the money does come, however as terms of my contract I should be getting paid after 28 days whilst it currently seems payments are 3 months behind. I also have 5/6 clients like the initial poster, I am going to have to find ways of putting more pressure on these people/companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this link for advice including the small claims court.www.businesslink.gov.uk/finance

Also has info on 'factoring' for pete gibbons.

Personally even if get the money legally would still play some 'games'..... with the 'debtor'. - GAME ON!!..

There is always the option of joining the (FSB) Federation of Small Businesses. I was once with them and I am sure they had a 24hr legal line for businesses and some sort of legal system in place to chase outstanding payments.

Reply to Advice on how to get money your owed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock