Discuss Advice on recessed lighting in kitchen and bathroom. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve Brown

Hi all.

The vast majority of my electrical work has been in fitting kitchens, and before now, never been asked to do the lighting. Any advice on type, things to look out for, things to avoid - LED/Halogen, Low voltage or mains, type suitable for bathroom?

You can see image of the kitchen below. It is slightly different to this - a true 'L' shape without the notch in the corner as in the picture. There'll be a table to the left, so I'm thinking 2 over the table, and 6 more on the other side of the kitchen. It's a small bathroom and I'm thinking 4 in there.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevebrown15/B&Q2.jpg

Any links to lighting you'd recomend, or tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

to be honest, i'd stick to the kitchen design and employ a sparks to design the electrics. it's not just L/N/E.

I am NIC registered domestic electrician. I'm not asking on how to wire them but advice on the type and tips on fitting.

:)

when you refer to `low voltage`.....low voltage is upto 1000V AC and 1500V DC...you may be refering to SELV...Seperated-Extra-Low-Voltage....such as MR16s....

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's your low voltage I'd hate to see your high voltage!!! I think we all knew he meant 12v?

I think two pendants in the kitchen is the current fashion, and for down lights I would say CFL or LED, there are thousands to choose from now.

The questions you ask are basic ones you really should know being a 'Domestic electrician' (sic) Just saying!

Thanks for the advice guys. I can't see how it's so wrong to be asking for advice on a type of product to use on a job you've not done before.

I installed kitchens for many years, so was part scope. I became full scope when I set up a Solar business - which hasn't worked out, hence I'm going back into kitchens.

I'd never go for halogen spot lights in the kitchen, they just keep blowing within a fortnite. LED are more expensive but long-lasting, and you won't get a sun tan.

agree. GU10 LED every time. only place for selv is under cupboard and plinth lighting.

GU10 LED for me. Just did a kitchen, hallway and two bathrooms with them for first time. Instant light and the 6watt warm whites are lovely and bright. Neighbour liked them so much I have to go next week and convert hers to LED. She was fed up with the lamps blowing and tripping out the RCD. Got them I'm my own home too. No complaints.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I historically have despised fitting recessed downlights, having to have 600watts worth of halogen GU10s just to get the equivalent usable light as a single pendant! And the heat they produce is downright dangerous in my view. The advent of the LED GU10 has swayed me though, they are brilliant, and allow you to fit almost as many as you need without worrying about overloading the circuit. I know, I know, someone could come along and replace with halogens, but that would be then, not now, and it would be a totally moronic thing to do.

The last kitchen I did, I used LED downlights in the ceiling above the work surfaces and there was a kind of communal/breakfast bar area, so I put in some nice fancy luminaires (still using GU10 LEDs). I'm no interior designer, but the punter loved it.

Sorry for waffling on.

Reply to Advice on recessed lighting in kitchen and bathroom. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock