Discuss Advice on surge protection extensions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

barto

I have been looking for a 10 way surge protected extension with at least 3m cable but all the 10 way ones I see available online are 2m.

You seem to be able to get 8 way or less with 3m or more but not 10.

Is there a reason for this in terms of safety / load etc.?

Is it safe at all to plug a 4 way into one socket on an 8 way?

Is it safe to chop the plug off a 2m 10 way and add another metre or so of cable if it's the same type?

As you probably guessed I'm not an electrician and the most I have done is install sockets, light switches etc.:)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

What will you be putting on each of the sockets? do you know the wattage of the appliances?

Is there a reason why not to get extra sockets installed into the ring or a new circuit?

What will you be putting on each of the sockets? do you know the wattage of the appliances?

Is there a reason why not to get extra sockets installed into the ring or a new circuit?

PC
Cable Modem
Wireless Router
Speakers
Wireless Headphones
Printer
External HDD
Monitor
Phone charger
Lamp

I don't know wattage.

New office furniture so slightly different layout. At the moment I have a vertical tower 10 way that sits between current desk and other furniture (2m length)

I want ideally a flat one that can hide under new desk / storage pedestal and keep everything as visually wire free as possible.

Phone charger can beleft out until I need it and lamp not on at all times obviously but I'd rather avoid having to swap plugs about.

The existing socket is single and on opposite wall from where the corner desk is going. 3m is perfect for running along behind other unit and then hiding under desk. I'm not interested in any new sockets as I want minimal disruption. Location is dining room / study area which is open plan to living room and was all decorated a year ago so wife would freak if I even suggested new socket or anything!:)

You can plug as many things as you can into the extension lead. As the plug is fused on the extension lead to protect the cabling from overloading, and burning out. If you are wanting to extend the cable on the extension lead would be okay but obviously voltage drop may be a factor to consider, so don't go stupid (you will be fine adding the extra 2/3 metre that is required). From the list of equipment you have mentioned the fuse within the extension lead would be okay too and wouldn't overload the 13A fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
So chopping the plug and adding an extra 1m of same cable will be OK if I join the plug back on again?:)

asocket - I am not wanting to do ANY work on sockets so needs to stay a single I'm afraid.

Careful with the twin socket with 2 13a loads.

SOME twin sockets are rated at 13a total and not each outlet.

I'm not making it a twin mate.

I wanna keep it one socket, one 10 way extension but add another metre of cable so it's 3m in total.

Are you thinking of joining another metre of cable on?? Remove the two metre piece and replace with the correct length, don't do any joins.

As pushrod has said replace the whole cable and do not add (by way of a joint) another length to the existing cable.

Just another quick point, the equipment that you are looking to plug in my not all phisically fit due to the size of the adaptors / chargers etc?

Maybe worth checking before you start to take the ext lead apart?

Ok - replace with 3m length - sounds good. Any special type used as standard for these devices or will I just wait till I buy one and get cable the same?

Thanks for all replies and Merry Christmas to everyone.

One other question.............is it safe to use a 2 way plug in a single socket with e.g. a lamp in one connection and an 8 way extension in the other?

As pushrod has said replace the whole cable and do not add (by way of a joint) another length to the existing cable.

Just another quick point, the equipment that you are looking to plug in my not all phisically fit due to the size of the adaptors / chargers etc?

Maybe worth checking before you start to take the ext lead apart?

Yeah I had thought of that mate - the 10 way ones seem to be just your standard size where as the 8 way ones from Belkin for example have a few rotating sockets or ones designed for large adaptors etc. I'm used to that with the 10 way tower one I have already.

The lamp is located near the original single socket so in theory if I could use a 2 way with lamp in 1 and 8 way in the other (see post above) then it could work without having to replace the cable since I should be able to get a 3m one. I would just have to swap one plug out when charging mobile up for an hour or so each day.

Reply to Advice on surge protection extensions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock