Discuss Advice required regarding finding a suitable "certifier" when not personally registered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I suspect it may be a money issue. If I don't join the NICEIC or ELECSA because I can use a 3rd party certifier, then they lose out on £££s each year. Don't be thinking standards are somehow higher with these 2 schemes - until very recently you could join either with no experience at all, vs. minimum 2 years for STROMA or NAPIT.

Fair comment. It's a minefield that needs clearing up. It's clearly confusing guys who have even been qualified for years. We have had a lot of these threads on here end up heated over the years. Can perhaps link to this one from others in the future perhaps.

Why would you have no chance of signing up with a scheme for notifiable jobs ?

Wow this is a sore subject I think. I didn't realise there was literature out there advising people that they can find a "certifier" or become one! I'm not an electrician myself so this is all gobbldygook to me. But I think this is frowned upon in most circumstances. Bit of a loophole with regards to whos head goes on the chopper if things go wrong is the way I understood it.

But if it's a case of not being able to get certified yourself, so you need somebody to do it, then there should in theory be businesses going around charging to be your certifier? Not sure.

Welcome to the forum either way. Thanks for asking on here. :)

Why would you have no chance of signing up with a scheme for notifiable jobs ?
Thanks to everyone for their rapid responses. I think maybe I am asking the wrong question. The question should possibly be: Considering that I do have City and Guilds A and B (gained in the 80's) and the 17th edition cert., what else do I need - if anything - to be allowed to do notifiable work or is it just a case that I can do the work but need to simply inform certain bodies.

Once again thanks for the replies.

Thanks to everyone for their rapid responses. I think maybe I am asking the wrong question. The question should possibly be: Considering that I do have City and Guilds A and B (gained in the 80's) and the 17th edition cert., what else do I need - if anything - to be allowed to do notifiable work or is it just a case that I can do the work but need to simply inform certain bodies.

You might just need to update to the 18th edition regs qual to be fair. Give them a ring and ask their requirements. Also give your local authority a call and ask what they would need for you to notify work direct to them without a scheme as middle man. Some don't even charge where some charge you hundreds per job.

It's frowned upon if someone who isn't a 3rd party certifier signs off someone else's work, although I'm sure it happens all the time, much like with our cousins over at the plumbing forum. Also, there are a lot of sparks who just don't know about the 3rd party thing, so when they hear it being done they assume it's dodgy.
If you are on his job
You might just need to update to the 18th edition regs qual to be fair. Give them a ring and ask their requirements. Also give your local authority a call and ask what they would need for you to notify work direct to them without a scheme as middle man. Some don't even charge where some charge you hundreds per job.
Andy do y’all have to go to continuing education classes every year for your Electrician certifications ?

If you are on his job

Andy do y’all have to go to continuing education classes every year for your Electrician certifications ?

Our wiring regulations get updated every so often, a new edition every decade or so with amendments to that edition every 2 or three years. Competent persons schemes and employers expect all workers to be conversant with the latest regulations. This usually means having a qualification to the latest edition, but not necesarilly to the latest amendment of that edition. Every amendment generally means the purchase of a new book for those who need them at a cost of around £80.

For example we currently work to the 18th edition of the wiring regs (2018) which came into effect 01 Jan 2019.
The 17th edition was published in 2008 with amendments in 2011, 2013, and 2015.

Our wiring regulations get updated every so often, a new edition every decade or so with amendments to that edition every 2 or three years. Competent persons schemes and employers expect all workers to be conversant with the latest regulations. This usually means having a qualification to the latest edition, but not necesarilly to the latest amendment of that edition. Every amendment generally means the purchase of a new book for those who need them at a cost of around £80.

For example we currently work to the 18th edition of the wiring regs (2018) which came into effect 01 Jan 2019.
The 17th edition was published in 2008 with amendments in 2011, 2013, and 2015.
In the USA you have to go to a 10 hour class every year which cost $ 100.00 and our license expires every year and to get them renewed we have to got to class then pay the board of electrical contractors which is $ 85.00

In my humble opinion I think you’ve ready got what is needed to get on a compitant installers scheme. They will probably pass you with the proviso you get your 18th within a certain timeframe.

thanks once again for all replies, by giving "them" a ring Andy do you mean the NIECC?

I suspect it may be a money issue. If I don't join the NICEIC or ELECSA because I can use a 3rd party certifier, then they lose out on £££s each year.
Not only that, but their members aren't generally pleased with the idea of others "getting away with" avoiding the overhead of paying the scheme membership.
And who is going to sign up as a third party certifier so they can test work that they'd rather have for themselves ?

Not only that, but their members aren't generally pleased with the idea of others "getting away with" avoiding the overhead of paying the scheme membership.
And who is going to sign up as a third party certifier so they can test work that they'd rather have for themselves ?

I suspect a lot of electricians do think that way, but it's not logical. Whilst we are sort of in competition, my 3rd party guy gets a small slice of the cake from any notifiable work I do, so he benefits from it. If 3rd party certification wasn't permitted, then I'd have to join a scheme. Still in competition, but no benefit to him.

You're in a minority I think. For most, it's a choice between paying someone else to do the work or paying LABC fees. In my case, I just don't do enough to cover the membership fees - and AFAICT none of them have a "low volume" membership option.
So I think for the majority of sparks, not being a 3rd party certifier means they get the whole cake rather than just a slice.

Reply to Advice required regarding finding a suitable "certifier" when not personally registered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock