Currently reading:
Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter

Discuss Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Been trading on my own now for almost a year and mostly going well. I have been having problems with one customer though, a kitchen fitter who subcontracts me.

I have been doing work for him now for around 4 months and we agreed on price per point and payments to be made 14 days after kitchen is complete. First few jobs no problem, paid just about on time. After that however he has been an absolute nightmare to get paid from. Every time since the first couple of kitchens I have had to ask him at least 4 or 5 times for the money, which is frustrating anyway. I have heard every excuse you could think of, all the usual ones, problems with online banking etc etc.

So anyway I had a couple of weeks break over Christmas / New Year so thought I will get fully squared up before starting any further work. After Christmas break still no payment, 3 x invoices outstanding, the furthest back around 2 x months since I done the work.

So he gets in touch with me asking what day I am available to wire kitchen, I told him I would be available Thurs/Fri but would require payment first, not possible he said, I will pay you next week. Heard it all before, I thought, I'm not getting any further into this until I get paid. So I told him that I would definitely need squaring up before starting any new kitchens. So he text me saying I will just have to get someone else then. OK I thought, no great loss.

The real problem started yesterday though when he said that one kitchen we fitted, a month ago, RCD has started tripping. I explained that the problem would be with the wiring elsewhere in the house, not the kitchen, as all the kitchen wiring new and rest of house old with some pretty dodgy electric work that I noticed. Anyway, you can't call 1 month after work has been completed and suddenly say there is a problem with my work which was all tested ok. Plus the job was 60 miles away.

So anyway after explaining that the problem most likely be with the existing wiring he said you will still need to go and check it ASAP. I then said I would nip in and check it as a gesture of good will next time I was in the area (next week anyway) but I wouldn't be doing so unless I received the late payments from him. He then got back in touch and sad don't bother I will get someone else to do it and take the bill of of your payment!

Could not believe the cheek of this! Just wondering what advise you guys have on this. I don't know whether to go down the legal route to get my money as I don't see payment coming through any time soon.

I know what I should do, and want to do, but that might jeopardize getting my money even more!!!

better still. ask them if they are struggling to pay him, as he seems unable to pay you. that should get them annoyed.

Been trading on my own now for almost a year and mostly going well. I have been having problems with one customer though, a kitchen fitter who subcontracts me.

I have been doing work for him now for around 4 months and we agreed on price per point and payments to be made 14 days after kitchen is complete. First few jobs no problem, paid just about on time. After that however he has been an absolute nightmare to get paid from. Every time since the first couple of kitchens I have had to ask him at least 4 or 5 times for the money, which is frustrating anyway. I have heard every excuse you could think of, all the usual ones, problems with online banking etc etc.

So anyway I had a couple of weeks break over Christmas / New Year so thought I will get fully squared up before starting any further work. After Christmas break still no payment, 3 x invoices outstanding, the furthest back around 2 x months since I done the work.

So he gets in touch with me asking what day I am available to wire kitchen, I told him I would be available Thurs/Fri but would require payment first, not possible he said, I will pay you next week. Heard it all before, I thought, I'm not getting any further into this until I get paid. So I told him that I would definitely need squaring up before starting any new kitchens. So he text me saying I will just have to get someone else then. OK I thought, no great loss.

The real problem started yesterday though when he said that one kitchen we fitted, a month ago, RCD has started tripping. I explained that the problem would be with the wiring elsewhere in the house, not the kitchen, as all the kitchen wiring new and rest of house old with some pretty dodgy electric work that I noticed. Anyway, you can't call 1 month after work has been completed and suddenly say there is a problem with my work which was all tested ok. Plus the job was 60 miles away.

So anyway after explaining that the problem most likely be with the existing wiring he said you will still need to go and check it ASAP. I then said I would nip in and check it as a gesture of good will next time I was in the area (next week anyway) but I wouldn't be doing so unless I received the late payments from him. He then got back in touch and sad don't bother I will get someone else to do it and take the bill of of your payment!

Could not believe the cheek of this! Just wondering what advise you guys have on this. I don't know whether to go down the legal route to get my money as I don't see payment coming through any time soon.

I know what I should do, and want to do, but that might jeopardize getting my money even more!!!

Regular work is great but not if you ain't getting paid. It isn't worth the hassle. Sue him - Small Claims section of the County Court. Get your money, plus interest and costs!

Love the way the roof falls off at the end!

I know Nigel reasonably well. A top bloke who does a top job! This wasn't the first time he got scammed either, this was just the point at which he reached the end of his tether!

Did he get away with it?
<use words of choice> like he was dealing with are the kind of <use words of choice> who would go on to initiate criminal proceedings.

Reply to Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back