Discuss Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There are unwritten rules to this game by the way.

Only effect the one your aiming at, not his family or friends. That is a big NO NO in my book.

Causing an effect upon that persons business is ok as long has you can prove everything you say in a court of law.

Physical action should always be avoided or be the last course of action. Whatever "boys" you have, he will have some "boys" himself. They maybe bigger, stronger, harder and in more numbers than what you can handle. Ask yourself, IS IT WORTH THE MONEY?

Go down the legal route and put on top your hourly rate for every hour you have spent on your case. Inform him of such and good luck.

I tend to agree, personally I try to live a quiet peaceful life without problems from people, I'm not looking for hassle, I'll just get him in other ways, like tip offs to HMRC about the amount he is making and not charging VAT or, mr HMRC, he keeps wanting to pay cash no receipts or invoices etc, I know the buttons to press to get them snooping round his business.

Ill have one fun with it, I was so wound up and stressed the other week, it made me feel I'll, I mean what a cheek, he says stop asking for the money as its irritating him.

Exactly!!!

One time I even had to take out a loan to pay my guys and my subbies as cash flow was so poor that month and my invoice to the main contractor still hadn't been paid. I spent two weeks eating beans on toast! We are talking tens of thousands here!

That's the price you pay for running a company sometimes! Yes, 99 times out of a hundred you will be making alot more than the guys working for you, but that one time, you will be up s**t creek without a paddle whilst your guys are still comfortable.

An employer has a duty is to ensure that their employees and subcontractors get paid right and get paid on time!

That's the way I see it. You can't have your cake and eat it!

My parents-in-law had a company employing 30+ blokes. Main company (local council) did not pay up £350K on time. They had to remortgage their house to pay wages. Every man got paid, every week without fail regardless of their income.

Some people in this world are worth their weight in gold. Others are worth their weight in ----.

Note to all out there......

Goolgle is not a magical thing! It is not just for the knowledgeable or rich people on this planet. Just look up any firm that you are offered work from, simples :wink:

Just the way it should be!

Yep. When I employed Sparkysharky from this forum for the first time, I picked her up and I had her two days wages in cash waiting for her on the dashboard of the van before she even got in. She was skint at the time (we have all been there) and I dont ever mess people about. I have learnt this from Druhamsparks, I did 2 days for him and on the journey back home he sent a text to me "Wages Paid". Should have been a week before payment but he did it in an hour! It makes a massive difference when your skint.

This thread reminds me.... Earlier this week I got a call from Admin Phil to do a call out for one of his regular customers. I've done a few little jobs in the past for this regular customer and he drags his feet when it comes down to the money. Not this time lol.

The job was to wire and plumb up a 2 phase coffee machine in his restaurant at 4:30pm ffs. I had to drive off and get plumbing parts and did not finish until 9:30pm! Told him the bill, "Cant pay you until the till is cashed up." Thats fine I said, I'll just wait at the bar with a complimentary pint or two until you cash it up!

That got his arse into gear, ten minutes later he took me over to the till and I cleared out every note he had, he even had to pay me in 50p's to fore-fill the full bill!!!! As I say, I have had dealings with this chap before. Normally takes a few days for him to pay up for a "cash at the end of the job" deal. Told him the last time that for every hour it takes me to chase you for money, drive out to pick it up or wait for it to hit my bank account, I will charge £20 per hour.

I loved the look on his face once when he said "I've only got credit cards on me." Fine, I'll just get my phone out of my pocket and you can pay by card + a 5% charge. Amassing how fast he went to the cash machine around the corner for a £150 invoice lol.

I'll end up doing more work for the little rounded door handle, but at least he knows where he stands with me.

Cheers for input guys. This guy works directly for one kitchen firm only so I suppose he wouldn't want them finding out he isn't paying his subcontractors on time

Cheers for input guys. This guy works directly for one kitchen firm only so I suppose he wouldn't want them finding out he isn't paying his subcontractors on time

If this isn't the case he's more of a plonker than you've made out. A few words to his "employer" and he could be looking for a new "employer". lol

"Big boys come" (Harry Enfield) send some boys round (big ones) or trading standards (Dom Littlewood)

better still. ask them if they are struggling to pay him, as he seems unable to pay you. that should get them annoyed.

Been trading on my own now for almost a year and mostly going well. I have been having problems with one customer though, a kitchen fitter who subcontracts me.

I have been doing work for him now for around 4 months and we agreed on price per point and payments to be made 14 days after kitchen is complete. First few jobs no problem, paid just about on time. After that however he has been an absolute nightmare to get paid from. Every time since the first couple of kitchens I have had to ask him at least 4 or 5 times for the money, which is frustrating anyway. I have heard every excuse you could think of, all the usual ones, problems with online banking etc etc.

So anyway I had a couple of weeks break over Christmas / New Year so thought I will get fully squared up before starting any further work. After Christmas break still no payment, 3 x invoices outstanding, the furthest back around 2 x months since I done the work.

So he gets in touch with me asking what day I am available to wire kitchen, I told him I would be available Thurs/Fri but would require payment first, not possible he said, I will pay you next week. Heard it all before, I thought, I'm not getting any further into this until I get paid. So I told him that I would definitely need squaring up before starting any new kitchens. So he text me saying I will just have to get someone else then. OK I thought, no great loss.

The real problem started yesterday though when he said that one kitchen we fitted, a month ago, RCD has started tripping. I explained that the problem would be with the wiring elsewhere in the house, not the kitchen, as all the kitchen wiring new and rest of house old with some pretty dodgy electric work that I noticed. Anyway, you can't call 1 month after work has been completed and suddenly say there is a problem with my work which was all tested ok. Plus the job was 60 miles away.

So anyway after explaining that the problem most likely be with the existing wiring he said you will still need to go and check it ASAP. I then said I would nip in and check it as a gesture of good will next time I was in the area (next week anyway) but I wouldn't be doing so unless I received the late payments from him. He then got back in touch and sad don't bother I will get someone else to do it and take the bill of of your payment!

Could not believe the cheek of this! Just wondering what advise you guys have on this. I don't know whether to go down the legal route to get my money as I don't see payment coming through any time soon.

I know what I should do, and want to do, but that might jeopardize getting my money even more!!!

Regular work is great but not if you ain't getting paid. It isn't worth the hassle. Sue him - Small Claims section of the County Court. Get your money, plus interest and costs!

Reply to Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net